how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8GVT

KD8GVT Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to be in CB and scanners one day i got a tech book from a friend and studyed for it passed and now im a ham

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to have you aboard.

3. N0SSC

N0SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh its a long story...my bio says it all...

Long story short:

I liked walkie talkies when i was 5

I upgraded to FRS
    I upgraded to CB
    I made a friend who was studying for his ticket
    he gave me his book
    I got my tech and first radio.
    I worked some satelites.
    Upgraded to general
    Got an HF rig--Contested and ragchewed
    Studied hard for the Amateur Extra
    Passed the AMEx test, missing one.

Woo...that was as short as it gets.

4. KB3LAZ

Haha, I hear you on the long story part. You should see mine when fully expanded.:p

Glad you stopped by to share your story.

5. KM5QF

KM5QF Ham Member QRZ Page

sitting at my late grandfather's feet in his cb shack watching him tinker with all those buttons and knobs. that moonraker sitting on top of that 30 foot tower next to their house was the most awesome thing my young eyes had ever seen. i can still hear him calling out into that D-104.... "how ya copy this Louisiana Razorback?"

Fast forward a few years and a family friend, (sk) Jerry, WD5EAG, lit that fire again with amateur radio. he homebrewed me a practice cw key out of a cheap straight key and an old junk transistor am radio.

a few more years and i finally got my ticket and been running with it ever since.

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is the usual story...:rolleyes:

Hung out with the wrong crowd as a boy, Drinkin 'an cussin, Next thing I knew the Highway patrol was arresting me for being in a stolen car :eek: Judge said either I get my ham ticket, or it was off to the jailhouse.

Shoulda took the year and a day! :D

Rege

7. KB3LAZ

That's cool.

8. KC9OKV

KC9OKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well my stroy starts from when i was in sixth grade. My friend David (KC9MAV) came to school one day complaining that the FCC droped the mose code test. I asked what he was talking about and he said it was for his AR licenes. In seventh grade he explained more of it to me and i got intrested so he gave me his technicain study book. I read through it and in october last year i took the test and passed. After that i found out the one of our school's janiters was an AR operator. And that's where I am today and i plan on taking the general class test sometime this summer.:D

9. KB3LAZ

[​IMG]

Kids elmering kids, that's awesome!

(Ah....Im getting old)

10. N7ZQT

N7ZQT Ham Member QRZ Page

I started off on CB when I was in 5th or 6th grade (late 80s). I was an only child and had lots of time on my hands. I used to scavenge yard sales for old CBs antennas, electronics parts, computer parts, etc. The CB was where all my friends were. I met a couple of my best friends on the radio and we're still pretty close. It fascinated us that you could catch the "skip" and talk across the country with the right antennas. We all taught each other everything and fed off of each other. I knew about ham radio and studied a little but wasn't that enthused. In Junior high, a teachers husband provided a demonstration with an HT and a local HF linked repeater how he could talk all over the country. That was when I became determined to get my amateur license. In high school I did a lot of DFing and ham clubs. I still experiment with all areas of ham radio and love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.