how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all im 20 years old and Iv been a ham going on 4 years now. I became a ham because my grandpa took me on a 2 week long trip to meet his ham buddies. This took place because my grandma (aa3mw) passed away. It was our way of alleviating stress. Anyway when I was on this trip I was introduced in to the world of amateur radio. And it was instantaneously my addiction. I found it amazing that I could talk all over the world without a direct connection. And I met some real great people along the way. After all thats what it all about. well now u know my story, whats yours?
    thx and 73s

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Well, I have 13 family members who are hams, so it was bound to happen.

I was at a JOTA event and saw radio, so I went over there and saw some guy making contacts and when I looked at his logbook I was hooked (Sweden, Russia, Morocco, etc).

So I called my Uncle up when I got home, and next time I saw him, he gave me several handbooks, a practice oscillator for code, and a SW radio.
    I did self-study, just printed the question pool off the internet.

Took Tech with code and passed. Then went for General, passed. Now am Amateur Extra.

So, Ham Radio is big in our family.

BTU

3. KB3LAZ

hams in the fam

thats cool that u have 13 hams in your family. There are 9 in mine so im catching up lol.:)

4. WW1MM

WW1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

hello

i got introduced into the hobby through my dad and my uncle, my father and i got our technician tickets on the same exam date! and got our callsigns a week from each other haha. ever since january of 2007, ive been a ham, and am currently a general and work CW almost every day!!!

i love hte hobby, now we just need more people to join the hobby so we can all make more contacts!!!! hihi, i love hte hobby, and i hope it sticks around for my lifetime!

73 de KB1OJU

5. KI4BNC

KI4BNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a small child XX years ago and was living with my grand mother and she had a "boarder" staying with us.I remember going with him to do his laundry one night and he had an old cb in his car.I got to talk on it breifly and didn't think much of it at the time(I didn't realize I had been bitten at the time).I later acquired a "walkie-talkie" from a thrift store that actually was ch14(?) cb.ffwd a few years:bought a cb from my sister and was bitten again...
    got into cb,and was into it for many years.Ffwd again to 2003.A freind was telling me about getting his tech ticket so I told him if he did it then I would do it too.this time I was bitten AGAIN!!That time it took!
    "and thats all I've got to say about that.":D:D:D

6. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

I got into ham radio via CB radio, which was--back in 1995--pretty much used in the way we use instant messengers or mobile phones today. The guys I talked to via CB were friends from school and kids from my neighborhood; I was never really interested in DXing or making random contacts on CB.

Our local library had a lot of books about CB and also ham radio and by reading those books I got hooked. A particular book (that I should add to my bookshelf, if I find a copy!) about low power transmitters probably had the greatest effect. Building a small 80m QRP transmitter that could cover half of Europe, with less power than my CB set and only a handful of components? That sure sounded exciting to me!

Since there were no license classes offered at the time I got the bug, I had to learn all the necessary things by myself, with the help of a few books. Occasionally I also asked my physics teacher about things I didn't understand, in some cases I simply memorized things that no one could explain to me. After a lot of hesitation I finally signed up for the exam and passed it (a written exam, no multiple choice back then) without missing a single question. October 23rd 1997, the most memorable day in my life. And yet I had to wait 2 weeks before I could get on the air, because the minimum age to hold a license was 14 back then, and I was still 13.

My interest in CW was initially not very high, but it seemed a nice challenge to me, so I learned it all by myself, with the help of a program I wrote myself in QBasic. Looking back now, the method I used was ridiculous (starting at very low speeds, like 2 WPM, and counting dits and dahs), but it worked.

When I finally got hold of a HF transceiver, I was lucky to start my venture on HF on the weekend of the WPX SSB contest 1998. I stood no chance in the SSB contest with my FT301 and a zigzag 80m dipole just above the lawn, so I went to CW and was very surprised to finish the first night of operating with 5 complete CW QSOs. Before that day, I had never heard any real CW except that from my computer speaker, and it's easy to imagine how very nervous and thrilled I was at my first QSOs! I still have the sheet of paper on which I scribbled the first contact hanging at the wall in my shack.

All this is now about 10 years ago; ham radio has always been around during that time, hardly a day when I was not in some way active. Ham radio played an important role in the choice of my studies (EE), I have made hundreds of great friends of all ages from all over the world through ham radio, traveled through most of Europe to attend ham radio related events, in short: Had a lot of fun!

For the new young hams who get into the hobby in these days, many things are seemingly easier; there is plenty of information about ham radio on the internet, you can easily ask your questions to hundreds of experienced hams on forums like this; there are license classes that are very easy to obtain; learning CW with proper software can make things a big deal easier etc.

But on the other hand, it's also easier to get distracted by the multitude of information (some of which is of low quality or simply wrong) and possibilities that are available today. I personally take a very conservative position towards some of the developments in ham radio. I prefer looking up something in a good book rather than to search on the internet; I prefer real QSOs from radio to radio, or better, from human to human over all the newfangled stuff that hams waste their time and money with. I prefer to use something homebrew (even if it has some quirks) over something commercial that I don't understand how it works. You get the idea -- but I am getting off topic now...

7. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

4 years ago i got interested in restoring antique radios and ham radio just sparked from there.

8. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one ham in my family :(

he's a great one though... He's been a ham for 50 years, and an extra for some 45 years or something like that

9. PE2YSB

PE2YSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always been interested in radio,
    i started with CB in 1996, made random QSO's with people in the region. (only FM was allowed in the Netherlands then)
    When we moved my parents didn't allow me to place an antenna on the new house, so i had to sell my CBrig.

I also worked at a local public radio station on sunday.
    2 years ago i visited the Eindhoven Student Radio Amateur Club and i was infected by the HAM virus again.

Signed up for the exam, got my full license 2 months later and i was on the air. First i only used the clubcall because my shack only had an SWR meter.

A year later i got a TS-120V from a friend, and then bought a ft-817nd.
    Today i've bought a ft-60 HT, i can't wait until the battery is charged for the first use.

10. KB3LAZ

License

I see you just recently got ur license congrats, Hope you plan to upgrade.
    If u do you can find me on 3.955.00 at about 1 am. Feel free to check out my home page and use my ham radio blog. kb3laz.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.