How did you first get attracted to ham radio, as a kid?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZAL, Jan 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was lucky that I never burned up any components in mine. I normally just followed the instructions. But I think my sisters burned out the 6V lamp by connecting it to the 9V battery though. Luckily I had a replacement which I think is a 9V lamp.

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My motto is, “I’ve learned everything I know through experience... mostly bad ones!”

WZ7U and N6QIC like this.
  3. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember going to a 7/11 store, at least I think it was a 7/11, back in the 60s with my Dad to use the tube tester they had.

WZ7U, N6QIC and KD2ACO like this.
  4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish you could still do that! :p
    "Hey Hon, pick up a couple 6V6s when you get the milk."

N5PAR likes this.
  5. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

The last working tube tester I saw was the local ham store here in the Houston area a few years ago. It was the only ham store in Houston and is now out of business.

6. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

With an old H’s Skyrider Jr that absolutely everyone else in the house hated.

KD2ACO likes this.
  7. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a kid in high school, a few of us played around with CB radio. My uncle then urged me to study and get a ham (this was long before the required capitalization of the word) radio license, and I did, all while listening to hams and other HF stuff on a Zenith SW receiver, then a Hammarlund HQ-100AC. While in high school, I was the only ham in the Radio Club at that school. I had several friends at other schools who were hams, and we used to stay in touch on 6-M AM... even did on the air study groups on 50.950 mHz.

N5PAR, WZ7U and N7ZAL like this.
  8. VK5FPAC

VK5FPAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Listening to the BBC and the Australia vs England cricket test matches on my grand Dad's radio...

NOTE: the 'tone' adjuster! Why in "god's name" don't all ham radios have this critical function anymore!

[​IMG]

:)

KD2ACO, N7ZAL and WZ7U like this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember once my parents had a multiband radio in the kitchen, I remember it had VHF and probably UHF for listening to police, aircraft, and weather stations, etc. I don't remember if it had shortwave but I bet it did. But all Mom ever used it for was listening to the local AM station. I'd love to go back in time and play with that radio. I have no idea what make/model it was, but it was a largish upright portable with different colors on the dial for different bands and little icons of airplanes, police badges, etc for the different bands. Likely made in the late 60's/early 70's. Gonna have to polish up my google-fu to see if I can find it again.

*edit* OK, I think I found it. This one here:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure this one is the one we had. I guess it didn't have shortwave but would have been fun for me as a child to tune around on and listen to aircraft or the police.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    N7ZAL likes this.
  10. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Uncle had a Hallicrafters short wave radio I used to play with. Then, when I got into the 6th grade, they had a radio club at the middle school I attended. Of course, I joined, learned the morse code and got my license. Richard Fowler, K8PXE was our mentor and club trustee.

N7ZAL likes this.