How did you first get attracted to ham radio, as a kid?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZAL, Jan 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

For Christmas 1983 (age 12) I got this:
    [​IMG]

And one of the projects is a crystal set, using the variable cap, ferrite bar coil, and germanium diode. Had lots of fun with this kit as a teenager, and still have it! Can't wait for my son to get just a little bit older so I can bring it out and play with it with him.

I remember I also made a "click click" telegraph key with it, using the relay and included "Morse key," the blue box in the compartment on the right. Only I didn't know Morse back then.

W5KUL, WE4B, K5ITM and 6 others like this.
  2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one similar to that... I used to get a kick out of making the relay into a buzzer by wiring one set of contacts to interrupt the dc to the coil. :)

W5KUL and KK5JY like this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I'm surprised they still had them for sale as late as 1983.

I had one around 1977 as I recall. Decided to get one when I was there getting my battery of the month.

[​IMG]

K5ITM and KD2ACO like this.
  4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are really great. They are still made in many shapes and forms!

[​IMG]

W5KUL, N6QIC, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Wow! Never seen that one before. :)

...Extra dee lux!

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think mine was "200 in one projects" in the mid 70's. I do remember burning out a few resistors and going to Lafayette with my dad to pick up new ones (along with checking bags of TV and radio tubes).

You know what happens when I go 'home' for Christmas? 5 family members pull broken junk out of their luggage and plop it on dad's dining room table. He just pulls broken stuff off the shelf.

I bring a Tek DSO when I visit. Cuts down on repair time! :p

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    N6QIC, K5ITM, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  7. K5ITM

K5ITM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hah! Those Science Fair/RS kits were great fun... mine was about ‘77 as well. Slightly different colors... more red in it if I recall. I’ve been meaning to grab a good one off eBay. I did pick up an Elenco snap circuit set for my son a couple of years ago that he enjoys.

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I burned out the transistors in mine... too ignorant to even know it back then!

9. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was young I used to go with my dad to Thrifty mart and test tubes on the tube tester. It was always fun.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    N5PAR, KD2ACO and WZ7U like this.
  10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I did too, but I read that doing that shortens the life of the relay since it causes a spark across the contacts. I seem to remember that one of the projects was a spark gap transmitter.