ad: Radclub22-1

How did you first get attracted to ham radio, as a kid?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZAL, Jan 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK5FPAC

VK5FPAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember when there was no internet and everything 'science' was to be got from short wave?

The Sony ICF-SW7600 compact radio and Sony's brilliant and compact Wave Handbook got me hooked in the early 80's...

I still have the radio and it's on the repair bench getting all it's caps replaced again!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

:D

W5KUL, K5ITM, KD2ACO and 1 other person like this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't remember hearing about ham radio but my first radio was when I was about 11. It was a little kit radio receiver that I put together. It had headphones and no batteries and I could tune and hear AM radio stations on it, was really cool.

crystal_radio_kit.jpg

N2UHC, N2SUB, N3AB and 5 others like this.
  3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Same thing here. Mine looked sort of like this one.

[​IMG]

My dad found a crystal radio builders book and I remember making foxhole radios, and others of many types with stuff found around the home.

Good times. :)

N6QIC, N7ZAL and K5ITM like this.
  4. N3AB

N3AB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had one like that, but mine had one transistor in it and ran on 1-D cell battery. I could receive 4 AM stations in my home town! I have several of the Radiocraft straight crystal and one-transistor models in my mountain of ham gear. I should liquidate soon.

N6QIC, K5ITM and N7ZAL like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Thank you" for what?

I haven't seen Drew in years. Bumped into him at Western Bagel (bagel bakery) once about ten years ago, and I think that was the last time.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another sorta neighbor (about 5 miles away) is Ron Popeil, the guy who sold all kinds of stuff on TV ads for decades and I think is actually still doing that. He must be close to 90 by now.:p But I see him at the Gelson's Market on Ventura Boulevard now and then. Everybody recognizes Ron!

7. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is he still pushing his "Spray on Hair?" ;)

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

My father got me one of these bad boys:

[​IMG]

We wound the coil, put up a long wire and the stations wee loud enough to hear with the headphone just lying on the desk.

My next 'home-built' was this:

[​IMG]
    I was hooked. Took electronics in college, joined the USAF and spent the next 22 years getting paid to play with radios. Got my Commercial phone, then my ham ticket. It was fun, but today's radios are mostly "Contains No User serviceable parts" for the most part.
    Still, lots of new, very small QRP rigs and kits hitting the market, so fun can still be had.

N6QIC, K5ITM, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  9. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still have my ICF-7600D that I bought in 1983 and works perfectly. Took it all over the world, Asia and Europe. Great radio... now there's little to listen to, it's just collecting dust.

de NK2U

VK5FPAC likes this.
  10. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was always one of those kids that took stuff apart to see how it worked. Unlike a lot of kids I knew I could also put stuff back together correctly. Christmas 1963 I was 12 and my parents bought me a crystal radio kit. We lived in Jackson Tennessee and it had snowed on Christmas eve. There was about a foot of snow on the ground Christmas morning with a beautiful blue sky. I assembled the kit and then my Dad and I went outside and stomped through the snow and strung the antenna up between a couple of trees. To me it was magic how I could receive radio stations on a radio that did not used batteries or plug into the wall outlet. This little kit is was started my life long interest in electronics.

In the late 60s my Dad bought two Heathkit CB kits. One was the base and the other was the mobile. Being medium red green color blind it was a challenge to sort the resistors. A cheap VOM helped me confirm I had chosen the correct value resistor. I remember finally getting then base station assembled and firing it up only to find out it didn't work. There was a shop in town that fixed heathkits that didn't work. We took it to them and in about a week they called and said it was ready. I remember asking what I had done wrong. The guy explained I had all the parts in the right place but it failed to work because of "cold solder joints". I took him up on his offer to teach me how to solder which took about 10 minutes. The next kit fired up and worked as it should.

My first real job was as an outside TV repairman back in the 70s. I ended up going to work for John and Otis two amateurs that owned a small TV electronics repair shop. They are the people that introduced me to amateur radio. I was working on my code using records borrowed from Otis when I was offered a better paying job at another shop. I left with I idea I would someday get my license. That day wasn't until 2008 after the kid had gone to college but I finally made it.

KD2ACO, N1OOQ, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.