How "Dated" Is The Kenwood TS 850 ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KA7NIQ, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone have any suggestions on what one to look for ?
    I think there are some decent used 6 and 2 meter rigs for SSB.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not many. The last one was the Ten Tec model 526 (I think), they called it their "6n2" and it covered just those two bands. Very nice rig, evidently didn't sell well and they pulled it from the market a few years ago.

3. WB2WIK

4. KA7NIQ

Thanks for the 6 and 2 meter combo rig tip! I will also keep my eyes out for a DSP 100.
    Wow, 500.00 for one, geez. I used to see them quite common for 100 to 200.00. I guess the word is out about them now ?

5. WB2WIK

I bought mine when it was new, a long time ago. It was cheaper then.

I really don't think that many were sold: The rig works fine without it. Mine has all filter slots filled, including dual CW filters that make it a real pleasure to operate there.

6. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

For about $1000.00 you can buy a Yaesu FT-847 10-160m, VHF/UHF all mode+ can add 1.2 gig and it does satellite to boot I just bought one with a FC-20 tuner. The radio had 2 Inrad filters installed boxes manuals the works. I have been working a little EME and weak signal this is a very good radio IMHO. This radio is a lot easier to use and change settings on than my IC-7000 and is twice the size not a lot of menus to go through I think with the crystal filters the 847 may hear a little better than my 7000 on VHF/UHF SSB and digital I run JT65 on 6,2m.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you're splitting hairs here -- as the other posters say . . . if it works fine for you, that's the only criteria that matters.

IMHO, there still isn't anything that will touch the iconic Collins R-390 and 390A receivers. They were designed and built beofre I was born -- and that's 58 years ago. They're still the paradigm in vacuum-tube technology.

If you want performance from any radio, learn how to be a better operator. In my jaded and ancient opinion -- anyone who can work a contest using a very wobbly Hallicrafter S-38, and a MOPA homebrew CW rig with a 6L6 in the final, is a REAL operator.

To paraphrase an old saying -- it isn't the size of the wand, but the skill of the magician. Same goes for ham radio.

Gary WA7KKP

8. KA7NIQ

I never had a Collins, but I have had many well regarded tube receivers, they all sucked on 10 meters! Sorry, but using Ameco preamps to help them hear is not my operating style.
    I have has Hammarlund HQ's, Drake R4 b and c, Nationals. Swans, and Galaxy tube stuff.
    It was ok, from 20 on down. I have never had any tube receiver that could equal, let alone approach a Kenwood 850. But then, I have never had a Collins!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.