ad: M2Ant-1

How can you update your address if you don't have an FCC ULS account?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NR8Q, Jul 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. NR8Q

NR8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It's coming up on our 10 year renewal for both me and my wife. I have an FCC ULS account which I have used to update my address of record to my current address. However, as far as either of us can remember, she's never logged in to the FCC ULS system or, if she has, we've long since forgotten the login info. Step 1 is updating her address of record to our current address. Once we've achieved that, then we can do our 10-year renewal.

So, without having an FCC ULS account, or at least having lost the details if she ever had one, what's step one for getting the red tape in order?

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

PM sent.

4. NR8Q

NR8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I got through the first hurdle of getting her logged in. I was able to look up her FRN in ULS based off her call sign. Then, it was so astonishingly insecure as to allow me to "reset" an account that didn't exist, including the Personal Security Question, without any real effort to verify that the person starting the account was the person legally associated with that FRN.

So, we're in.

We followed the instructions here: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/guideshelp/common-filing-tasks/common-filing-task-changing-address for updating the adderss electronically and it let us submit the page without any of the confirmation steps the instructions told us to expect, so neither of us knows what on earth is going on.

1) If it didn't ask us to verify or "sign" anything as that help page says it should, does that mean it failed?
    2) Which of the two systems (CORES or ULS) did that actually affect?

Looking up her call sign in the ULS still shows the old address.

5. NR8Q

NR8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, we followed the same instructions a 2nd time and this time it behaved like the instructions said it would. We had to poke some buttons, certify/sign, and then it even gave us a PDF of the form for change we'd just filled out. I think that means that, once it processes, we've got ULS corrected.

When I searched for "How to update FCC CORES address" and followed the instructions, we ran into the same page as happened the first time we thought we were updating ULS and it already had the current address in it. I think this means we accidentally successfully updated CORES first, then managed to get the ULS form submitted on the 2nd try. If the ULS Administrative Update form processes successfully, I guess that means she's up to date and we'll both just need to renew here soon when it's time to do so.

Other than just looking her call sign up in the ULS in a few days, is there any sort of notification of whether the FCC approved our submission to update ULS?

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Give it two business days.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Give it a day or two and check again, it's been a while since I did a change that I don't remember if it 'took' immediately.

If you were at the uls that's the one you changed. If you don't change the cores address any mail the fcc sends you will go to that address. I found this out myself the hard way... Thankfully the residents at my old address forwarded the mail to me.

They may send a snail mail to your cores address notifying you of the change made. I got one last change I made and that's the mail that went to my old address before I realized that I needed to change two places.

8. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it worked. Once you submit any change your aplication status should change to "Pending". Once it is granted the status will again change to granted with the new "grant date".

Your last administrative update grant date shows 2-25-2016.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. NR8Q

NR8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You looked up me, not her. I got mine straightened out last year. Though the help from here did cause me to realize I had updated ULS but not CORES (so I straightened that out).

I checked on my wife's ULS info today and the AU already processed. She's all up to date.

Now we just have to wait for our 90-day window and renew next summer.

Thanks guys!

10. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct, as far as I se you didn't give her call sign, or I missed it. But good job glad you got it all fixed.

Have a great day,
    73, Lisa