How can Wire 5 receivers to one speaker ?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC4DYM, Feb 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC4DYM

KC4DYM Ham Member QRZ Page

How can Wire 5 receivers to one speaker ?
    Thanks Ray
    Kc4dym

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The way I did it was to build a simple box - 6 receivers in (in my case) to a single speaker out.

I'm something of Heathkit sort, so I created artwork to match that theme... but the idea is the same: simple rotary switch selecting any of 6 inputs to a single output. I used a 2-pole switch so that the second pole would run LED indicators to tell me which receiver is being routed.

The green artwork is just for fun - same with the LED indicators. NOT AT ALL NECESSARY - just a simple rotary switch picking up one receiver input and routing it to the single output to the speaker.

But FAR simpler would be a simple RCA jack patch panel - build a box with RCA jacks and use a jumper to "jump" one receiver to the single speaker.

Couldn't be easier. Actually, it really couldn't.... other than having a long speaker wire and walking it from receiver to receiver :)

Dave
    W7UUU

selector.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    K0UO likes this.
  3. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job!

4. KC4DYM

KC4DYM Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s what I need have box for hear aids that transmits to them
    Thanks thanks Dave
    Ray
    Kc4dym

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DAVE........ GREAT JOB.......BRAVO.............

BTW..... THE FOLLOWING POST WAS INITIATED EARLIER TODAY.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ideas.691648/#post-5354456

THANK YOU AND HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEKEND.

73 - K1LKP

6. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

My solution though simple, was a bit different in that I use a separate speaker amplifier and separate switches for each input so I can monitor mulitple receivers simultaneously if desired.

[​IMG]

I later added transformer coupling.

[​IMG]

This unit also allows me to adjust side tone level, record off the air, or put the station audio onto the house speakers for when I run upstairs to get a refill.

The two jacks on the right end go to a second set of same, at the other end of the bench.

[​IMG]

More info HERE

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

The device you're looking for is an NCS-3230.

I have two of them. Each has 5 receivers plus a digital audio recorder output feeding it, and by selecting the speaker routing via the front panel I can send receiver audio straight through a pair of speakers or through an ADSP then back into the unit for amplification. A VOX-activated tape recorder control is offered for each input channel.

Wish Doug still made the devices.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

The picture of your setup, although only partial, reminds me of a museum exhibit. A museum like Midway Carrier San Diego, Rock Hall of Fame where you walk by a radio or audio recording booth exhibits you would see in such places. All the equipment does look old out of the pages of history, but in new condition like a step back in time of yesteryear.

Take it anyway you want, but I meant that as a compliment.

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Recei
    A wider answer is to Wire Multiple Receiver’s to Same antenna (or small number of Antennas)

Receiver Multicoupler
    https://www.everythingrf.com/community/what-is-a-receiver-multicoupler
    B4605462-51F2-42AD-971E-F83BFF18803C.png
    A Receiver Multicoupler is used to connect multiple radio receivers to a single antenna. It splits a single input signal that it receives from the antenna into multiple signals with high port-to-port isolation. A typical multicoupler consists of band pass filters, a Low Noise Amplifier and a power divider. It is an important part of a telecommunication system.

There are two types of receiver multicouplers:

Passive Multicouplers: Passive multicouplers always have losses depending on the insertion loss of the filter and power divider used.

Active Multicouplers: Active multicouplers use an LNA at the input to amplify the signal which then compensates for any signal losses after filtration and splitting.

Most receiver multicoupler requirements are custom and are developed by the companies based on a customers requirement. Here is a list of manufacturers who make receiver multicouplers.

We have also created a list of standard receiver multicoupler products and made them searchable by specification. Click here to find receiver multicouplers from the leading manufacturers.

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Used NCS units appear on eBay about twice each year.
    The prices are often double what they sold for originally.
    AA82D0A1-209B-440C-BB1D-0F6082A8AAB2.gif
    2D0EDC6E-0066-46A4-8454-F009F082D4A3.jpeg
    The NCS-3230 was the Multi-Receiver
    https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/2917.html
    BDAEEC9C-DC03-4E8C-99AE-530C1B300DC6.jpeg
    The NCS-3240 was the Multi-Switcher
    https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/NCS3240.html

NCS-3240 Multi-Switcher current listed on eBay.
    eBay item number: 324067865859

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020