how can this go sideways? craigslist response

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KD2ITW, Nov 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2ITW

KD2ITW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted my drake L7 on craigslist, same add as QRZ , and received this response. Not certain why they would ask for all that information when all they have to do is web search my call sign.
    From Alicia Sanders. aliciasand75@gmail.
    any thoughts?

Thank you so much for your response, I've been working really long weeks at work so I won't be able to meet with you before purchase, but am ok with the price and condition as shown on the advert, I'll proceed in issuing a check to you and when you receive the payment and it clears, I will make arrangement for pickup. So get back to me with below details asap.
    Full name :
    Physical Address (Only,not po box):
    City, State, Zip:
    Your cell Phone Number:
    Deal Price:
    As soon as this is provided, payment will be overnight to you through UPS next day delivery and I will let you know then tracking number of the package. I will also add an additional $50 for keeping other buyers off till my check gets to you, also please delete the posting or mark as sold.
    Thanks and I hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hearing from you

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, OK :rolleyes:

NE1U likes this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Scam; run away.

Clues:
    -Stilted language with British phrasing and formalities.
    -Can't meet with you.
    -Complicated payment plan.
    -Woman responding to boat anchor ham gear (unlikely purely by numbers)

Don't even entertain the thought of responding to this in any way. Don't let greed suck you into an obvious fraud.

KD2ITW, KK7AMB, AG5CK and 3 others like this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

My one and only foray into Craigslist listed an item "cash only, local pickup only" and immediately got emails asking home much for shipping and do I take PayPal. Figured if they couldn't understand simple English I wasn't going to reply.

KA2FIR likes this.
  5. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I use Craigslist I state, "cash only, swap will be made in the local Police Department lobby."
    Haven't been scammed yet. I also use an extra throw away Yahoo e-mail address in case it ends
    up in the hands of junk mailers.

KD2ITW likes this.
  6. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Standard, scammer's form letter.

Be creative and insulting. Have some fun giving that scammer a hard time.

KD2ITW likes this.
  7. WB4IVF

WB4IVF Ham Member QRZ Page

The convoluted boilerplate email indicates an extremely lazy non-English speaking scammer. But lazy or not, he probably gets enough bites to make it worthwhile for him. (-:

KD2ITW likes this.
  8. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

No,no she's on the level.
    . See the qualifier here:
    "Thanks and I hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hearing from you"

KD2ITW likes this.
  9. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell her you are glad she wants to buy your cousins CPAP machine and you appreciate her condolences for him dying from Ebola. Suggest she rinse it before use.

KD2ITW, KA2FIR, AC0TX and 1 other person like this.
  10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Scam. In addition to the red flags others have pointed out, why is it she says she's ok with the price and condition as in the advert, and yet she wants you to tell her the price?

If you follow up, she'll send you a bad check that won't be immediately discoverable as bad, so when you deposit it, it will initally appear to clear. She'll want the item plus the extra 50 dollars. After you send that, your bank will let you know that the check didn't clear and you'll be out the money.

KD2ITW likes this.