How can I update Icom 7300 firmware using iMac Big Sur Ops, since I do not have a windows computer

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by N6DSC, Mar 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6DSC

N6DSC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an iMac with Big Sur Operating System. How can I install the latest ICOM 7300 firm ware over to my ICOM radio thru my iMac. I need Help!! I think ICOM firmware is only download to Windows, but I have an iMac computer. Could some of you folks give me some help and pointers how to get it install on ICOM 7300 when I only have an iMac Computer with Big Sur operating system on the computer.

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Follow directions in full manual. Doesn't matter that you are on a mac.

N6DSC and AG5DB like this.
  3. N6DSC

Thank you David, so I do not need to worry about not having a windows computer? I can download the firmware from Icom direct to my iMac
    Big sur and copy it to a SD card? This is a stupid question I am 87 and have a lot to learn but I want to master this. Where on my iMac do i insert and SD card so I can copy the download to the SD card and then take the SD card to my Icom 7300 and copy the information to the radio. I really appreciate your help on this very much David. thank you again

4. N6DSC

Loosing my mind. I see on back of computer where i insert SanDisk. I need to buy a new SanDisk and properly remove one from my radio Use the new one to down load firm ware to my computer. What size do you suggest?? 16gb ? Does it need to be formatted by radio before inserting it into the computer to down load the firm ware?

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you sure about that.? I recall the latest USB drivers applying to Window OS systems only for Yaesu and Icom. Some one told me that the USB drivers were the same for both Yaesu and Icom but I don't know for sure. I do recall updating the USB driver for my Yaesu radios was a PIA for a particular Windows OS update.
    Since firmware updates have been known to "brick" radios I have to really desire the update before attempting. I don't update just to be the coolest kid on the block.

N6DSC likes this.
  6. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

The question was about Firmware update! Don't confuse the thread opener.

N6DSC, AG5DB and K8HIT like this.
  7. K8HIT

I am absolutely sure about that. He is moving an SD card around, not using any Icom drivers.

Why even bring up Yaesu? No relevance at all, like the rest of your comments.

You are not helping.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  8. K8HIT

Yes, format the card in the radio. The SD card is nothing special, Don't waste money on a big one. 1, 2 4, 8, 16, 32 GB will work. The firmware file is only 4MB in size.

Download the file to your computer, unzip the file, copy that file (7300_140.dat) to the IC-7300 folder on the SD card. Put the SD card back into the radio and update the firmware.

Did you find the full manual for your IC-7300? Honestly, the directions are there, starts on 15-3.

This is what most people miss --- **** copy that file to the IC-7300 folder on the SD card

To unzip the file, just double click on the file you download. It should open in the finder and you'll see a single file 7300_140.dat, drag that into the IC-7300 folder on the SD card.

If you Mac doesn't have an SD card reader, buy one on Amazon. Same reader will work for Windows or Mac. Here is an example SD Card Reader.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    N6DSC and N6YWU like this.
  9. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One minor change: when you double click the zip file, it will extract into a folder of the same name.

In this case, the zip file is named 7300_140.zip. Once you double-click it, a new folder with the firmware will be created and named "7300_140". The firmware file is inside that folder.

Also, as suggested, check out the manual for doing the upgrade. They are very accurate step-by-step instructions for doing this. The manual is here:

https://www.icomjapan.com/support/manual/2271/

Once there, check the agree box at the bottom and click the red button. You can start on 15-5, as the pages 15-3 and 15-4 discuss unzipping the firmware on a Windows computer.

N6DSC and K8HIT like this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well excuse me! :D