How can I test a dial up modem?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NZ2N, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to test a dial up modem but I have cable and the local ISP (the only one that serves this area) wants $30 a month for something I'd use one time. Is there another way?

2. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you use it to fax? Dont know if it will tell you what you what to know or not. Sean [​IMG]

3. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe, that is a good question.

It belongs to a friend of mine and I've stupidly agreed to take a look at it so I'll know more this week when he drops it by.

4. K6BTM

K6BTM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like that locally but I'll try those numbers and just pay the long distance toll. Thanks.

6. KE7IPY

KE7IPY QRZ Member

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Or heck, just go get another one. What are they, like $10 or something nowadays?

8. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't you install in your computer , make up a connection
    with a phony number and see if it will dial. Turn the tone on in control panel and see if it rings.
    Curt

9. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought they had gotten rid of their free service. Anyway, I'll have to pay a toll to use it but I'll try it.

10. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you need to see whether this modem will connect with another one, or just whether it dials out and otherwise appears to be functional?  If you just need to dial something, dial yourself. [​IMG]  As a little extra benefit, this will at least let you test whether it correctly detects a BUSY signal.

There may be a tab/dialog under Modems in your Control Panel which says "Diagnostics."  If you have that, try the "More info" button.  This will send a series of status request strings to the modem and display the results returned.  You do not necessarily have to know what all the results mean; what's important is that you get them.  If you can get through the "More info" process without any problems, then the odds are that the modem probably works just fine.  [Official Disclaimer: I said probably.  [​IMG]  I can't and won't guarantee it.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.