How Bright or Bleak does the future of our hobby look to you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Nov 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of different factors could figure into your answer, but what do you think amateur radio's future looks like and why?

Jim N3AWS

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this an episode of "Which Doesn't Belong and Why"? :p

Oh, I guess not. :oops:

My ham future is so bright I have to wear shades.
    Especially when welding.
    Because that's how I choose to see it, until proven otherwise.

N3AWS and VK4HAT like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since i stopped turning on the radio and dropped out of just about all ham radio related social media to focus on the design and construction of home brew projects, the future looks a whole lot brighter.

Over the next 10 years I want to develop a world wide network of robot stations to work.

N3AWS, AD5HR and WZ7U like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sort of a "Ham radio would be GREAT if it weren't for all the other hams"?

I'm sure there are people in prison that feel the same way. :p

5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, so many of my friends have walked away from the hobby because of HAMS that I am starting to look like the last man standing. These are the kinds of guys who should be the poster child of ham radio, young guys who home brew, do portable, learned cw and have a passion for radio. One of them is currently designing and building a radio telescope, his saying, Love radio, hate hams. And i can understand where he comes from.

KN4SKF and N3AWS like this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They just want to do their time and get out. Includes both staff and inmates.:rolleyes:

WZ7U likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think hams are giving up on radio because of other hams.
    I think hams are giving up on radio because other hams are giving up on radio.

Ham radio was much more fun when more of us were on the air.

The number of licenses is deceiving. I'm convinced there are fewer of us on the air than ever before.
    It has little to do with propagation. As we age and pass on it will become even worse.

Robot stations may converse with one another but the heart will be missing. And so will we.

W4IOA likes this.
  8. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

All you need to do is consider the demographics. It’ll be pretty much a thing of the past in another 30 years.

KU4H likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

25 years ago, I would have opined that ham radio would probably be doomed to die off with the last of the Babyboomers. Now? Not so. It's apparent ham radio will continue on. It will change--to the dismay of some here--but it always has changed. Spark begat CW, CW lost some allure to AM, and AM lost out to SSB. And so it goes. Today, there is a lot of pearl clutching here over digital modes, but they are likely one of the futures of radio. And one of the things that will see that it stays around. Some, I seem to detect, would actually like to see ham radio die off with us children of the 50s and 60s. Not me; I'm sure it will be wonderful--I'm just sorry I won't be around to see what it is in 50 years. ;)

N2EY, W9FL, KA0HCP and 2 others like this.
  10. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, in the 36 years I've been licensed, there have been multiple signs of the Apocalypse cited by hair on fire ham radio lunatics as the end of the ham radio world as we know it.

I feel fine.

N2EY, W9FL, KK7AMB and 1 other person like this.