ad: vanity

How are packet QSOs handled?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by K3RW, Mar 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3RW

K3RW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was on a trip the other day and was running APRSDroid on my phone.

I get a direct message on APRSDroid from a DX operator. Unusual for me, but I send a quick reply through the messenging tab.

Two minutes later I get an email. The op wants to confirm the QSO. The incoming QSL (through the QRZ logbook) says its on 2m.

My APRS call was K3RW-7. I haven't yet mentioned to him 'hey I wasn't on a radio'. I had -7 because I was on my 2m FM mobile in my car on .52, but APRS normally is found elsewhere on 2m.

Well, I wasn't on 2m FM on a radio, and this was an APRS app. I don't know if he was on a computer, HT, etc.

Do packet QSOs count?

We have packet systems locally. Do only ones that weren't relayed and digipeated through other systems, count? Not sure what the rules are here. I figured it might be different for ISS packet store and forward versus APRS versus traditional packet. I can work packet well beyond my normal VHF range.

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Award general rules state that all QSO’s must originate and be reciprocated by licensed amateur radio operators, each using transmitters operating in established amateur radio frequency bands and identified using the respective callsign of each QSO participant. Transmissions that use a relay or repeater or an Internet link may not be used for credit towards awards.

https://www.qrz.com/page/qrz-operating-awards

WD4ELG likes this.