ad: Mountaingoat-1

How Amateur Radio Fans Decoded SpaceX's Telemetry & Engineering Video

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Mar 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W6RZ

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here ya go, OM... :D

[​IMG]

KN6NWZ likes this.
  4. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is so great. I think the space communication part of ham radio is one of the most interesting to share with my kids.

W0PV and KC0KEK like this.
  5. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like they're using standard SGLS (Space-Ground Link System) downlink frequencies and CCSDS (Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems) formatted data streams.

6. HA6NN

HA6NN Ham Member QRZ Page

HA6NAB is one of them.
    Check him on qrz.com

W1YW likes this.
  7. W6RZ

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you SURPRISED??

9. HA6NN

HA6NN Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If there had been less press the situation would not result in this... why don't others see that:)?

Speaking in general (not in response to Phil...who probably already knows this..-)

SpaceX is very supportive of 'space geeks'. They also like to be in the loop. They are very, very aware of everything that comes out about them. Here's some support of that statement:

SpaceX has a cottage industry popping up around it to serve all of its hungry fans - CNN

We should just cut them some slack and give them some recognition.

If we were more DIRECTED about it, we could turn this around so they (SPACEX) would give a special feed just for hams to try to pick up, encouraging 'maker' PR.

I mean really: if you want to encourage NEW hams, including younger ones, this is it--

Assume they read the mail.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    W0PV likes this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Spaceflight today has become much more competitive, not just from a national security perspective, but now commercially too.

So it wouldn't surprise me that from a business perspective SpaceX decided that certain video streams need to be encrypted to protect some development "trade secrets", such as internal images of liquid tanks.

Control of fuel "slosh" in tanks of multi-start wide-range throttled rocket-engine systems, especially in the weird dynamic environment of partial-G (landing) and zero-G, is probably still at the "bleeding" edge" of such mechanical technology.

But SpaceX would get great publicity by continuing some non-encrypted video too for amateur decoding, "Easter eggs", with views they would release to the public anyway.

Leverage this recognition of amateur initiative and talents to entice SpaceX to team up with AMSAT-NA or others from the ARS for a joint PR venture.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  13. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt it had anything to do with the LOX tank. I've seen SpaceX put that on their own feed occasionally. I suspect they got a call from the State Department insisting that they encrypt their downlinks for ITAR reasons.

AC0GT likes this.
  14. KC2PMM

KC2PMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SpaceX has lowered the cost of getting to low earth orbit so much, it's created a shift in launch technology all across the space business.
    From Wikipedia, the cost of getting 1 kilo into LEO using the Space Shuttle was about $54,500. SpaceX has lowered that to $2,700 with the Falcon 9 rocket, $1,400 with a Falcon Heavy. The Starship, now being built and tested at their Boca Chica, Texas launch facility is expected to bring that cost down to an unbelievable $10! Both the Starship and the Starship Heavy booster will be re-useable, which is key to SpaceX's low costs. They should be flying the next Starship in just a few weeks. Blow or go, these are always exciting to watch!
    Guy
    KC2PMM

N2AMM and KC3PBI like this.
  15. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally Cool. Maybe I will launch my own Ham Satellite one day. I have the money. Just need some Hams to build one for me. I wonder of anyone knows people at SpaceX that can help out. Need Elon to help with the reliability. That seems to be a problem these days. Looks like the future of satellites is on the rise at a rapid pace.