how about telling teens...

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KF5SPD, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah but Sue, there is always someone older....so stay a YL as long as you want to.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How about learning how to get on the air with no money at all? I have a chapter on zero budget radio in The Opus of Amateur Radio Knowledge and Lore. :)

3. KF5QFA

KF5QFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey now, although I do text alot, I'm 15 years old and a junior in high school :) got my license in 8th grade though. However, my phone has been stolen at wrestling practice.

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was also in the 8th grade when I got my license, that was over a decade ago (barely). My advice to you is to upgrade to General as soon as you can and get on HF. I found after 3 years as a tech that I got bored with radio, it wasn't until I got my General and later Extra that I discovered a world of radio that is really quite interesting.

5. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why did you get bored with a Technician class license? I'd say there are actually quite some cool things you can do with that license.
    You have to however let go of the idea that everything you can do with it is talk on repeaters. And even as a Tech you can work on
    HF. You have 10m for SSB and CW, you have 15,40 and 80m to operate CW. So there, you don't even need to upgrade.
    Now let's talk about some real DX. You can't do that on HF (unless you have deeeeeep pockets). But on VHF and UHF. I'm talking about
    EME. Nothing more needed than a Technician license. How about HSMM-MESH? Build a high speed data network with other hams on 2.4
    or 5 GHz. Yes, that's Amateur Radio too. How about mountain topping (OK, that requires a mountain) and explore the world of 10GHz?
    And of course there are satellites which can be fun too. And Packet Radio (let's revive Packet Y'all :) ).

There are so many possibilities even without ever going below 50MHz. All the above however requires one very important thing. A curious mind
    and the willingness to learn and experiment. Don't just copy what everybody else is doing, go new ways. That is Amateur Radio.

And as for "valuable" comments like "Teens are too busy texting" .. ah well .. good luck attracting anybody with that attitude.

*Edit: Did I really forget to mention weak signal VHF and UHF SSB/CW/JT65/FSK441? Meteor Scatter anybody?
    73 Mike (stepping off the soap box now :) )

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. KJ4HBF

KJ4HBF Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had my tech in Highschool (And a job) I had a total of $400 to spend on radio gear, Please explain to me how to build an EME setup within that budget without any access to tools, materials, a workshop, or even a backyard.
    (Actually if you can tell me how to do this I'd love to hear it, My dad has an old C-band satellite dish in his yard Id like to do something with)

I actually attempted to get some sort of ham radio presence in highschool, Between the faculty not being licensed, not wanting to get licensed, not wanting to spend the time after class to host anything it went absolutely nowhere. I even asked the principal about it to which he promptly shot me down for he expressed concern for the security and safety of the students talking to these 'Strange unknown people' on the radio.

While I'm busy ranting about school I also had way to much fun attempting to study for my Extra without any knowledge of Trig, as it's not taught in public schools here anymore. No If I want the knowledge and schooling available to people for free in 1974 I have to go out and pay unreal amounts of cash to take a course at the local community college.

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right and even with all of the tech toys when a small percentage of teenagers realize they can talk to people around the world on radio they do get excited about it. I think that message is not given to enough teenagers and it does have a benefit for employment.

8. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure about that dish, but Google may be your best friend for that. Let's see .. EME on a budget of $400 :). Impossible? I don't know but it would be fun to actually try it out.

Antenna: homebrew 12 element yagi out of pvc pipe and welding rods or similar
    Receive: RTL-SDR or Funcube Dongle (not that the + model is available people may sell their old ones for cheap)
    Transmit: 2m SSB radio with 10w out to drive a 160W amp

Certainly not a "I can hear my echo on CW" type setup, but a working the very big ones on JT65 one. In lieu of backyard, take it portable.

This is a theoretical exercise here and I'm by no means an EME expert, but it may actually work if you beg, borrow, steal (ok maybe not that) but you get the idea. Also keep in mind the examples I made don't have to be taken literally and of course money as usual plays a role. My point was that there's so much more in ham radio that does not require a General ticket and can be as much if not more fun than the old burned in paths new hams usually are told about.

Yeah in the age of ueber-PC and fear and paranoia for everything things don't seem to get much easier. I never went to school in the US so can't talk about what's going on there but from what I hear it seems that teaching things that don't secure the budget for the coming year are not high on the list. Unfortunately CS and EE seem to be in that bucket.

Well, I would argue that today there is so much access to knowledge on the open Internet that it's mind boggling. I can attend classes at MIT or Stanford for free from the comfort of my office and that's amazing. If the system wouldn't be so messed up, there would be even more information available for free that was funded by tax dollars. But that's now me getting on the rant path about freedom of information and what not.

73 Mike K5TRI

9. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to tell teens that .....

" Ham radio is like twitter, but you don't have to type! " ( Credit to the writers of 'Last Man Standing' )

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Having started as an SWL at age 12 first ticket at 16, it is more about the fascination of radio. You can expose young people to the hobby, but in the end they need to develop their own curiosity and interest. True, there are many more devices of a technical nature, available to them today than 50 years ago, and, no doubt, they may have caused otherwise future young hams to go off in other directions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.