ad: qroparts

how about telling teens...

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KF5SPD, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF5SPD

KF5SPD Ham Member QRZ Page

oh, yeah i am

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio can also get your foot in the door to a good job. Years ago I was working as a cashier at the local grocery store as well as working for a small computer store. I was at my grocery store job and I noticed someone wearing an HT. We got to chatting for a while about ham radio. I didn't think much of it after that until a few weeks later I got a call from a neighbor who was a ham (he was a few years younger than me). This person I talked to at the store was tracking me down, he had a student position open at Bell Labs. I wound up working there for several years working in the IT department. With that on the resume I moved into another IT job in NYC, etc. (Bell Labs did want to hire me full time but there were some counter offers in my favor..). It's a great hobby to be in.

3. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

What got me initially interested in ham radio, and finally my ticket as a teen was the "no infrastructure required" aspect of the hobby...and really cool stuff like EME.

4. K3LFC

K3LFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think technician lisc. for teens is good enough. And still stick with gmrs and cb too!

5. KD0LOS

KD0LOS Ham Member QRZ Page

If there was more people reaching out to teens, there would be more! I know of quite a few teenage hams here, thanks to the campaign of hamclass.org . There is plenty of ways to get it involved, reach out to scout troops, schools, or other youth groups that having teens that YOU can elmer them towards getting them on the air. As a youth myself, I got interested by the Red Cross coming out to our meeting and telling us about the hobby. We had about 5 scouts get there license and some are still active from time to time, including me.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In Japan and other places, they really emphasize the "RADIOSPORT" aspect of ham radio. Kids like competition of any sort, and as long as there is some potential of blood and guts...or at least working up a sweat....I think a lot of Yutes could be interested. Why not show some lads and lasses a multi-multi contest in operation?

7. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Start a ham radio club at your school. Find a teacher that's involved in the hobby or get a science teacher to help you. Once started, invite the other 'geek' clubs to stop by for a demonstration. Locate some web content that shows students working the space station and use that to sell the idea to the faculty. Good luck.

8. KF5SPD

KF5SPD Ham Member QRZ Page

we don't have one

9. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

But make sure you get a VANITY call so everybody will think you know what you are talking about.

10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

You old hag! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.