ad: elecraft

how about telling teens...

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KF5SPD, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5SPD

KF5SPD Ham Member QRZ Page

how about telling teens about the benefits of ham radio and encouraging them to get their technician license, and if they want to they can move up a notch? i have my technician's but i need a radio, but i need a job, but i need driver's ed. to be honest, i keep the wallet size with my id and display it proudly, and i'd like to thank my instructor for letting our class know about this opportunity. :cool:

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Teens are too busy TEXTING

3. KF5SPD

but reach out to the ones who are willing to learn, i learned that it is useful for emergencies, and getting really worried about the exam, got me to pass. just tell them, its the new thing, and if phone lines are down or their phone line gets cut, get your license talk to someone, then if they are interested, tell them more about it :cool:

4. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

How about locating a local Amateur radio Club in your area and telling them what you just posted above? I'll do a little work for you....

http://dcara.net/

Looks like they have a page about "Elmering", might want to look into that. Have you ever used the "Shift" key on your computer?

Jon

5. KF5SPD

Yeah, I've had keyboarding, but sometimes I don't bother to use it. I'm a quiet person, but I'm willing to, but I need hands on experience, I'm not a visual or auditory learner.

6. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever the deal, send them a nice E-Mail with your story. Tell them where you are at (I don't mean your address; your situation). It took me one Google search to come up with that link. You probably have more than one club in your area....who was your teacher? Let him know you want to advance in the hobby. Ask him if he belongs to a club! Also ask for the student discount when joining the club!! Hams are a cheap bunch, they'll expect that question...

Jon

7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never been huge on the idea of general recruitment for amateur radio. I do think though that there are future engineers and other technically minded individuals in High Schools across the nation who would benefit from being involved in amateur radio. Sponsoring a radio club in bigger schools where there is more opportunity that there might be a larger number of geeks who would benefit from the hobby is a great idea. But generally speaking, unless they get interested in either the competitive aspect or the technical aspect I don't see teenagers keeping up with it. In fact I know a number who belonged to a radio club at a High School in Waco who got their license but haven't been on the air since they graduated. The same is true for a High School here in Austin that has a radio club. With that said, there is no lack of stuff on the airwaves most weekends.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesenia, I take it you're a YL? That should make you instantly popular with any of the local ham clubs! I was the adult advisor for an explorer post that was mostly girls, and they always attracted a crowd when they got on the air!

What are your interests in ham radio? What kind of a radio are you wanting to get, and do you have any money to spend on one? Or, are you wanting advice on what to get?

A big draw for young folks around here is SKYWARN, and you are on the opposite side of 'tornado alley' from me. A Google search shows that the Denton County Amateur Radio Club operates a SKYWARN repeater on 146.92. The only catch I see is that in many places, you have to be 18 to go out storm spotting. But we have teens that do it from their own back yards. Maybe you could start something around there with other teen hams doing that.

I would encourage you to push the 'hobby' aspect of ham radio over the emergency comm angle, but it doesn't sound like you've had much chance to enjoy that yet, either. You can email me directly if you want.

9. KF5SPD

what is YL?

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

YL = Young Lady...
    I should know I use to be one, Now I am an old lady. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.