how about a photo w/call required universal rule?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N1VAU, Apr 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an idea that will simplify the QRZ swapmeet rules.

"Photo of items with handwritten call sign tag required for all for sale or trade listings"

Seems simpler and possibly a little more scam resistant to me from my view in the cheap seats.

2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gets rid of the $100 threshold and makes it harder on the scammers. Great idea!

3. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Why handwritten? As if I could not hand write N1VAU?

Maybe just up it to only paid subscribers can advertise to sell and buy? Prior transaction with zed should indicate the buyer & seller are golden! Part swapping cannot possibly happen.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm a proponent of the "paid only" myself. You should have to have some skin in the game to use the site to make money IMO. Maybe Fred will see this and give it some thought - scammers would very likely be filtered out, as they would have to pay up before they could list.

But no way scammers will ever be totally avoidable - they will always find a way.

The idea of the $100 minimum for "call sign in photo" is just like the reason they don't yet put "security strips" in $1 bills in the US... crooks are not going to generally bother with small dollar scams. QRZ has determined that $100 is the minimum that scammers are going to try to scam - and usually a LOT more than that. Otherwise why bother?

Dave
    W7UUU

KJ4VTH likes this.
  5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a member of 6 maybe 7 sites/forums that support ham radio. Through those sites, I have bought 3 up scale keys (total >$1.5K) thru these sites in the past 4 years. None have been thru zed after just checking email. Even though I was not actually "ready to buy", I looked thru most of the sites sans cqham.ru just to see if that one specific and unlikely to be resold key might show up. They did!:eek: This is not intended to be dissing zed. I only decided to get back into ham radio 4 years ago ... so call just me the village idiot.

I am a member of many forums for many years from auto, computers, guns:eek:, physics, si-list (talk about a retro site) and a few I am a paying member. For those I am a paying member, it is to have the ability to upload pics as sometimes a pic is worth a 1000 words and to attempt to separate myself from opinion (BS) & those just saying something because they want it to be.

A notion that just occured to me, is that the sellers of those keys might not have been the most sophisticated computer guys. It is much easier to find "eham" than it is "qrz" when doing a search for "ham forum" at least a few years ago and is exactly what I did. For me, it wasn't until I joined a club (never been in one for decades other than ARRL lifer for nearly 50 years) 4 years ago that I even heard of qrz.com. Those guys thought it was the only place to find license info. The president had never heard of the ULS as he pushed me to find all licensed hams in our locale.

6. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ, having the FCC database, should make reducing the possibility of being scammed. A seller, you look up the call. You contact via QRZ PM and via the email in the profile. You ship to /from the FCC address aligned with the call sign. You call the seller/buyer on the phone and talk like people. You do not use friends and family. You do not respond to unsolicited deals, no more than you would regarding discovery you are a Nigerian Prince(cess).

NA4RA and NE1U like this.
  7. N1VAU

Because it takes effort to hand write, might be a little bit more difficult to actually hand write in a language you use an on line translator to decipher.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very good point!!

Dave
    W7UUU

9. N1VAU

I was thinking of how streamlined the enforcement would be for moderators.
    No call sign = Delete
    One rule = Easy peasy

AJ4GQ likes this.
  10. W7UUU

Well, one rule for THAT part of it. Still a lot of other important rules that matter

I'm sure Fred monitors this sub-forum so maybe the idea will catch on

Dave
    W7UUU

N1VAU likes this.