ad: Amateur-1

How about a monthly Zedders Net?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Nov 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I'd say overall the day was a bust. Which is one reason I was thinking of a monthly affair: One month might suck, the following month might feature stellar propagation. Ya just never know. :oops:

AD5HR, W1TRY and (deleted member) like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had three contacts and some nice conversation, so it was ok for me and I'm game to try it again.

Besides the poor band conditions, I think a big problem was that all of us were spread too thin in time. Since the scheduled time was all day, the chances of being on at the same time as others is much lower than if there were a shorter time period. (There aren't thousands of us participating after all.)

Of course there's no perfect schedule. No matter what is picked someone is going to have a significant conflict. But the roundtable repeats, and there's no reason that the time period couldn't be changed from time to time to give more opportunities for people who have a fixed schedule.

K9ASE and W5WN like this.
  3. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was good for some. Maybe good for more next time. Don't give up. It was a lot of fun trying!

1 person likes this.
  4. KD4ZFS

KD4ZFS Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to listen for activity off and on throughout the day, but I never heard any of the Zed roundtable.

I only have an ant for 40 right now, but I dialed around those frequencies. I've got pretty bad QRN and QRM, about S7, so SSB mostly doesn't work. However, I did hear the other, very active net mid-morning on 7.258. W4ZD, I was pretty sure I heard the NCS reply to you briefly around 10:00am Central. But I never could hear the station that might have been you, and I had confused myself about the call sign by the time I got to where I could write it down and check.

Good try. I'd like to see another attempt. I'll watch this space to see what develps.

73, de KD4ZFS

5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. Very antenna challenged at the moment but did give a listen at various times.

Maybe next time

6. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I checked all 3 spots +/- 5 during the day and never heard a thing. Most of the time, there was activity so I never called CQ as the frequencies were occupied.
    I'm glad for those that connected!

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to keep it as an experiment until at least spring time. I'm very appreciative of W4ZD putting this into action. In recent months I've thought it strange that I don't think I've heard or worked an active Zedder forum member.

It was strange that there were so few contacts.

However, 40 meters from my QTH was jammed with nets and special events stations from at least 7040 to 7060 kHz from about 9;00 AM to after noontime EST. The signals on 40 meters were very strong and ranged up and down the east coast, gulf coast including Texas, and out to Indiana and Illinois.

Twenty was strange here. Many signals had very fast QSB on them. On the waterfall they looked like CW.

I didn't get a chance to try 75 in the evening. It was totally dead during the day at my place.

I do feel those are by far the best three bands to be trying for this experiment.

Let's not give up yet.

Ken

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    W5WN and K0UO like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Turkey day net was CRAZY!!! Zedders working Zedders right and left... not sure what happened this weekend.

Granted, I had a lot going on yesterday and much of today but just not much heard on this end

No reason not to just "keep on keeping on" for next month and on into the future....

Big thanks to @W4ZD for spear-heading this.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2CZU, N0TZU, NL7W and 3 others like this.
  9. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We could always do a Hangover net for Newyears day.

Ed

K0UO likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it was a requirement?