How about a monthly Zedders Net?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Nov 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The TDN was both fascinating and frustrating (propagation seemed to suck at my QTH). And, it got me to thinking. This has perhaps been floated before, but I think it bears revisiting...

How about a monthly Zedders net? One day, maybe 12 hours or so, casual in most respects (like TDN), but with set times and frequencies. It could be as casual as desired, maybe even no need for a NCS, just a congregation of guys 'n gals to talk about whatever was of interest.

The internet is a wonderful thing, but it would be nice to (a) hear a human voice, and (b) practice this hobby of ours, which is the whole point, right?

My thought was a 3-band arrangement, 80/40/20, SSB. Kinda old school, but I kinda like old school. :) Nothing wrong with other modes, though. The sky is the limit, right?

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    W9RAC, W5WN, N1VAU and 12 others like this.
  2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Some time ago, WB2WIK had a QRZ.com Zedder get together day on 20 meters SSB. A few of us checked in to the festivities. It was fun to hear the voices behind the keyboard..

3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Steve, your thoughts on this thread.....
    @WB2WIK

4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it would be a good idea. If it is agreed to then a prominent announcement each month on the QRZ.com front page would be in order as a lot of folks don't bother with the forums, unless the desire is only for a gathering of forum participants.

K0UO likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed! Not a bad idea at all. Your idea, so you get to run with it!

I would suggest staying away from the more infamous frequencies. The screw-loose crowd, who might not be operating at a given time, would have incentive to come out of the proverbial woodwork, just because. Why look for trouble?

K0UO and K9ASE like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only if it's something other than analog voice.

7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

How about an FT8 Net? We can all send “RRR 73” at each other!

WQ4G, K8AI, VK4HAT and 3 others like this.
  8. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

God, does this hobby really need another net? I do believe there are more nets than hams. :)

KE0TNL and W3ATT like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And the nets are angry with each other for clobbering "their" preferred frequencies. ;)

W3ATT likes this.
  10. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would prefer this net to the local prostate net. :D

K8AI and K9ASE like this.