Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2CQW, Nov 1, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Xfinity WiFi. Is there any point to get a hotspot? Xfi is running a wires-x node in my garage plus intergoogle for ham stuff.

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

What, exactly do you mean by 'hotspot.' There are WiFi internet hotspots, wired internet hotspots, radio hotspots, etc.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you are wanting to connect more devices, I would say no.

4. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I needed that. Now will someone explain VPN's jargon free.

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I will try. Hopefully it'll give you a very broad idea of what it's all about.

It creates an exclusive/dedicated 'tunnel' from your computer to the VPN server, protecting your data by 'shielding' it from snoopers. It also changes your internet location. The latter allows people to circumvent geolocation based controls, such as watching Netflix from a country other than the one the account belongs to, by using a VPN server in that country.

The main benefit of using a VPN is for those that rely on free/open/public WiFi access. Keep in mind that a VPN will not protect you from scams such as phishing, or anything that you 'approve' or 'accept', knowingly or not.

Downside: You are trusting strangers, the VPN company, with all your data traffic. At a minimum, the provider should not log your activity.

Unless you really need a VPN, there are other ways to protect yourself. Nothing beats 'internet hygiene'. For everyday, standard surfing, I use QUAD9 to protect my DNS queries, and Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere add-ons on my web browser.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    K2CQW likes this.