ad: Sussex-1

Hotels Hamfest - Dayton Ohio 2022

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by AF4L, Mar 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AF4L

AF4L Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate some help on information for Hamvention, Dayton OH. 2022. I was at the Hamfest many years ago, and I stayed at a hotel where after hours many hams would gather on several floors in the hotels where they had VEC exams, simulations on the air, CW speed test, and many other great things in the Amateur Radio World. I can only think in my mind of Stouffer Hotel, however I could be wrong. I'm trying to find out more information if this hotel still exist any more. If anyone could provide more information if this is still being done, I would appreciate this information. I plan on attending next year, and would like to make reservations.

73's
    KY4DQ

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it in Dayton proper or Hubert Heights?

3. AF4L

AF4L Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello KL7AJ,

I really do not remember at this time ,however I do remember that it was a great activity indeed. I'm trying to find out more information since I will be going to the Hamvention 2022. I have been out of the Ham arena for many year, and getting back.

KY4DQ

4. AC8MA

AC8MA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  5. AF4L

AF4L Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello AC8MA,

Do They do after hours Ham activities at this hotel or just a hotel to stay for the Hamvention?

6. AC8MA

AC8MA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am within a short drive of Xenia without a need for a hotel. I would give them a call and speak with a manager to ask.

7. K2LXC

K2LXC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A few years ago the Dayton Hamvention moved to Xenia, Ohio. Very Near Dayton, Ohio.

2021 Hamvention Cancellelation
    By Hamvention Webmaster01/11/2021Event Information

Unfortunately, several setbacks in the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic make necessary the difficult decision to cancel Hamvention 2021.
    Hundreds of volunteers have been working to do everything necessary to bring this Hamvention to the many amateur radio enthusiasts and vendors
    who support the Dayton Hamvention.

Vaccine distribution both in the United States and around the world is lagging behind what was planned. In addition, the emergence of a more
    communicable form of the COVID-19 virus increases the potential for further public health problems in the next few months. We make this difficult
    decision for the safety of our guests and vendors.

Those who had their tickets, inside booths or flea market spaces deferred last year will be deferred again. Those who purchased 2021 tickets,
    inside booths or flea market spaces will also be deferred. If you desire a refund instead please email tickets@hamvention.org and we will contact you.

Stay tuned for information about a QSO party for the 2021 Hamvention weekend. We are looking forward to the 2022 Hamvention!!!

Executive Committee, Dayton Hamvention 2021

8. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gee, I may plan to go also my first ham convention but really planning ahead since not till May 2022.

Hamvention will be held May 20, 21 and 22, 2022 at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center.

I looked at their "sponsor" hotels - gosh are we that big that need to spread out over so many? Probably so. I checked my favorite brand Best Western Plus which is listed. But it is in Englewood the opposite side of Dayton from the Greene County Fairgrounds in Xenia.

Since I am a night owl called the hotel like at 3 AM MST, before looking at maps to ask how far they were from the Fairgrounds - the desk person had no idea :( Then I researched maps!!

I assume good Uber service around the Dayton area so could avoid renting a car? I love Uber app even used Uber all over Frankfurt Germany in 2019 :)

To have activities at a hotel would seem to have to be more concentrated to some hotels for the good things KY4DQ recalls. Maybe they could designate a "lead" hotel to organize as he said "after-hours events". Would probably fill up fast but an incentive for early registration until filled.

Since never been to the Dayton Hamvention what if it rains? Actually never been to Ohio other than maybe 65 years ago as a kid to Akron. I have been to lots of large business conventions but usually in a huge hotel or like the Denver convention center - but maybe we are not THAT big?

I assume "sponsor" hotels have discounted rates but probably too early for them to be negotiated.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  9. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Discounted rates during Hamfest usually means only three times the normal seasonal rate. As for ubering it ..... stay at a hotel on the shuttle route, traffic jams after 6:00am are quite something.
    Count on being sunburnt, rained on and frozen during the 4 days.

Graham
    Ve3gcx

KX8C and AD8FD like this.
  10. SAMUELRICHARDS

SAMUELRICHARDS QRZ Member

There is a Hampton Inn in Xenia not listed on the above list.

K0UO likes this.
  11. ND8D

ND8D Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Crowne Plaza Hotel, Downtown Dayton. https://www.cpdayton.com/

I don't plan on staying there again since I live only 30 minutes from Dayton/Xenia , but I have always enjoyed the festivities.

K2CD likes this.
  12. N9IKE

N9IKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Went to the 2019 show at Greene County Fairgrounds. They refused to open up the parking areas overnight for camping. I was willing to pay extra but they said NO even though I had a self contained cab over truck camper (no hook-ups needed). All RV parks and state parks were full. I ended up staying at a church parking lot in another city and payed them a $20 donation (unsolicited). Forget staying at a hotel nearby. They are all reserved. Your bet bet is to contact the committee leadership of the Hamvention online. They will probably have the info you need.

13. W0JKT

Hotels are already booked for the May 2022 hamfest? I am a stay at hotel person not camping and no RV - would be flying into Dayton.

14. W0JKT

I just called some hotels in the area. They don't even take reservations a year in advance. I did find a hidden gem newer hotel very close to the fairgrounds. Had a very nice chat with a manager. Their system currently won't let them book reservations beyond 12/31/2021. I want to book it first when I can before suggesting it to get ahead of the crowds :)

K0UO and KX8C like this.
  15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can have my rooms for both 2020 and 2021!