Hot Air Balloon Mobile, a ham radio adventure!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe APRS would be enough, between piloting and enjoying earth views, no point in being distracted by A-R, or only if fully auto mode.

Oliver

M1WML likes this.
  2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video and balloon trip. A calm and makeable adventure in tbe air. There should be more YLs and OMs, to go up there with their handhelds or mobile stations to be aeronautical mobile for a while.

K5QBF and M1WML like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Many the the Around the World high altitude record balloon flights over the years had Amateur HF radio onboard.

Flying and Amateur radio is fun.

73 from the,
    K0UO Rhombic Antenna Farm is located at the Kansas QTH with over Two miles of Wire, I'm in the Air or On the Air daily, “The RF Gotta-Go-Somewhere"!

KC7ZXY, M1WML and K5QBF like this.
  4. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

Does no one realize that the unit, hot air balloon, is mis-named ? The balloon rises after propane and oxygen from the Earth's atmosphere is burned to make hot carbon dioxide. It takes thousand of cubic feet of COtwo and the balloon is refilled every few minutes as it cools quickly. During an Albuquerque balloon fiesta, over a trillion cubic feet of oxygen in the air is lost as it becomes carbon dioxide. Some of those folks actually believe they are both "balloonists" as well as "environmentalists". And don't bother, they are not educatable. The carbon dioxide increase is apparently not important in New Mexico

M1WML likes this.
  5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    The Hindenburg was more environmental-compliant, up to a (flash) point.
    Radiowise, gave us the Zep.

Oliver

K0UO and M1WML like this.
  6. K0BZ

K0BZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video guys! My first virtual balloon ride with ham gear. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure.

K5QBF likes this.
  7. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

I never saw that kind of photo about the Hindenburg before. I only saw the explosion, but never an approach or a fly over a city in the USA. Maybe in cause of the logos?

K0UO and PU2OZT like this.
  8. KB1TK

KB1TK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

that was an eye opener thank you

9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

It is mis-leading to refer to these as "hot air" balloons; they burn propane to create a LOT of hot carbon dioxide. Then they go on a ride that goes nowhere
    and the balloon is refilled every few minutes by more burnings dozens of times to replace cooled carbon dioxide. An Albuquerque "balloon festival" adds an uncalculated
    amount of CO2 to the atmosphere for people going nowhere that want to see the pretty balloons. So long earthlings.