ad: FlagAnt-1

"Horse Fence" Antennas

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by W5HLG, Apr 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W5HLG

W5HLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I make "Horse Fence" Antennas that are resonant on 75/80 Meters and add on kits for 40 Meters as well. These antennas are extremely broad-banded as well as delivering extremely low SWR. These utilize a woven tape that is a full 2 inches wide with 18 Stainless Steel wires woven into the antenna. Also they will withstand full legal limit amplifiers with NO problem. This antenna has a breaking strength of 1,045 pounds!!! What other antenna on the market today can say it has a 1,045 pound breaking strength???

I use all Stainless Steel and Aluminum hardware and Nylok nuts to ensure things stay tight in the air just the way you want them to and Schedule 40 PVC for strength. All internal parts are soldered and all holes are sealed with RTV to ensure water tightness. The caps are sealed in place utilizing the same sealant that plumbers use on water pipes and then it is painted utilizing Krylon for plastics to ensure that it does not flake or fade.

I'm a Ham and I build these for Hams because I know how they are going to be examined and what is expected in performance. Please contact me for more information as well as pricing......you WON'T be disappointed!!

W5HLG@cox.net

1 person likes this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds interesting. I wonder if you've measured the DC resistance through the wires? Stainless steel isn't the best conductor in the world, but maybe with five strands it's comparable to copper. What sort of data do you have on this?
    Eric

KK4CCA likes this.
  3. W5HLG

Eric,

Thank you for contacting me about the Horse Fence antenna. Allow me to try to answer some of your questions. I have lots of data but please understand that some of it is proprietary. You ask about DC resistance. I have not applied a DC power source to the antenna to measure that. If you mean resistance pure and simple then at 60 feet it is 7.3 ohms. I don't understand about the 5 wires either. My antenna has 18 stainless steel wires that run the length of the antenna. Of course you do realize that every major antenna manufacturer utilizes stainless steel in their antennas. Stainless steel reduces the coronal effect to an antenna by ensuring that a corrosive layer does not build up on the surface area and that it retains it's original "as built" properties. If you would like to email me at my regular email address I will be happy to send you further.

Lea - W5HLG

W6ON likes this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the stuff that they use for electric fences? I was looking at that just the other day and wondering if it would make a good antenna!

What color webbing do you use? (not white, right?)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. W5HLG

The one with 18 wires only comes in white.

6. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used normal fabric dye to turn the white fence cloth (horse fence) into a light blue / gray shade. Just soak it in the die over night then soak it in water to remove the excess dye. You can pretty much make any color you want (even tie-dyed for that far-0ut antenna effect).

These things work very well... after realizing that almost every mobile antenna sold for the past 50 years is stainless steel, I got comfortable with using it and it works great. The low SWR (and thus minimizing precious dB in any coaxial cable loss) more than offsets any difference between copper and stainless steel.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a rainbow... problem is, you would probably have treasure seekers haunting your property looking for that pot of gold... and then there's those dang mischievous leprechauns!

I wouldn't have thought that the synthetic they use would accept dyed color. Thought it had to be 'built-in' to the mix before the fibers are drawn.

8. W5HLG

The material that I use in my antenna is a resin based compound that also encompasses UV resisting qualities that enable it to keep it's shape and strength for a very long time. Actually I believe a Krylon spray paint would work better if someone wants to change the color of their antenna.

9. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

What gauge is the steel wire?

10. W5HLG

22 gauge but it is also woven together in 4 separate groups.

1 person likes this.