Horizontal or vertical near water?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K1OIK, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I take a KX3 to the ocean and to a fresh water pond. At the ocean I go vertical with a Buddipole but should I go horizontal at a pond? Does the pond give me any advantage over land based with the same setup?

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not enough information to answer the question.

Bands? Intended QSOs? Available height for horizontal? Desired pattern?

Bogarting is bad practice.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Fresh water does not offer the advantage that salt water does.
    But I think you already know that...
    Bring a fishing pole, nice bass in that pond.

K0UO, K1OIK and NH7RO like this.
  4. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For years we camped at a Myrtle Beach campground on the ocean. Our campsite was about 400 yards off the ocean. Our camper backed up to a retention pond with sort of brackish water. I would take one of those 5' Radio Shack TV mast pipes and hammer it in the pond about 3' off shore (about as far as I could reach out without falling into the water). I mounted my screwdriver to this pipe. I ran the coax into the trailer and terminated it to my TS 570....It worked great and I worked 20 during the day and 40 during the evening... Oh yes, I also threw a coil of bare copper wire into the pond which became my ground...

It worked and it was lots of fun...

W1TRY and K1OIK like this.
  5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Pass on the bass, go for the trout without a doubt!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    WR2E likes this.
  6. NH7RO

No advantage to antennas (either polarization) over or adjacent to fresh water other than zero or little ground clutter. In fact, if I have my facts straight there might even be a tad less performance for horizontal antennas over fresh water (instead of ground that happens to have good conductivity) because there is less ground gain possible in that scenario.
    But saltwater is the best "ground" around and there is about a 6db advantage for low-angle stuff when using a vertical above it.

Rule of thumb: Think of fresh water as lossy ground and saltwater as ideal ground.

Jeff

K1OIK likes this.
  7. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Brackish Water for all intent and purposes is Salt Water, not fresh.

KG7QJB and K1OIK like this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder at what salt concentration in the water it becomes a 'good' ground plane...

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard Ponds can rejuvenate signals.

Or something like that.
    [​IMG]

WA7PRC and N2EY like this.
  10. NH7RO

Good question, but it's also a matter of the size of both the near and far-field saltwater surface area/ground plane, too. I think that would kind of make the salinity a moot point in the real world scheme of things. ( I once thought of installing a bunch of kiddie pools installed around my vertical and saturating them with lots of salt---but fthen ound out about the "far-field factor.":D)