ad: vanity

Hope this question is in the appropriate forum

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX5ALC, Jun 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm very new to this hobby. (Bloody new!!!!!) I just stumbled onto a line-of-site calculator today that will help me in deciding how high to make the mast for my new station. I'm only on 2-meter at this point, so "height is might" for right now. Some of the repeaters in my area show their height above the average terrain..........but many/most don't. The ARRL Repeater book doesn't show the info I'm looking for. How do I go about finding that information for individual repeaters?

73's
    Cheers

Chris

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris,
    Perhaps radioreference.com might get those specs.

Another, more research heavy option is to get the lat/lon data of the repeater and use Google earth to give you altitudes.

Heywhatsthat is helpful too. I like the coverage shadows.

N3AWS, KX5ALC and K0UO like this.
  3. KX5ALC

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check them.

Yes, Google Earth is my friend, for sure. But all it shows is the elevation of the ground at those coordinates............not the height above terrain of the antenna.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Often you can see the antenna site with Street View.

N3AWS likes this.
  5. KX5ALC

You've much better eyes than I. I've never seen any repeaters on Google Earth.

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally you can't find it because it's not published in online databases.
    Sometimes a club will have all the repeater specs on their web site. Aside from that you would have to ask the repeater owner.

KX5ALC and KA0HCP like this.
  7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Towers are easy to find if you know what they look like.

You can see the entire FCC ASR database and FAA obstruction datbase (and commercial broadcast stations) on Google Earth with:
    https://fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php

KX5ALC likes this.
  8. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HAAT calculations are required by the FCC for commercial broadcast stations for service area contour mapping; they are not required for ham radio repeaters. This seems like a pointless exercise; just put your antenna as high as you can get it and work what you can work.

I live in a mountainous area and when I had a 2m antenna 25' above the roof I could hit repeaters in Charlotte 90 miles away but I couldn't hit the repeater on top of Mt. Pisgah "as the crow flies" 14 miles away due to terrain - work what you can and be done.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    N1VAU, KP4SX, KX5ALC and 1 other person like this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dittoes to W4HWD. Seldom is this info available. Put up the tallest antenna you can and go from there. If you need better coverage a Yagi and Rotor are the next best step. (It never ends!). :)

KG4RRH, WZ7U, N1VAU and 2 others like this.
  10. KX5ALC

Well, ND5Y, you've a much sharper brain than mine. I can't figure out how to use that info-link.