Hooking up a FT-991 and AH-4 Tuner

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC6NZJ, Oct 16, 2016.

Tags:
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC6NZJ

KC6NZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am for information on how to hook up a AH4 to a Graduate FT+991 both hardware side and programming the radio.

Thanks and 73's

Peter
    KC6NZJ

2. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

1) What is a Graduate FT+991 ?

2) Do you have a sailboat ? That is what would make the AH-4 attractive to me.

3) If no sailboat, what circumstances are driving you away from a balanced antenna, and into the arms of the antenna grinch ?

4) Just 73. (73's is redundant.)

Now comes the part where I try to really help you: WB7X (wb7x@cox.net) did what you want to do, except that his radio was a Yaesu FT-950. Contact him/her.

3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm confused by the code language here? :(

4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure there is a way to "program the radio" since it is not Icom. It can be used with non-Icom radios with a small control circuit.

I had an AH-4 for many years, sold it with the 706MKIIG, and sometimes wish I had not. It was a versatile piece of gear. I suggest you join the Yahoo users group. You will find there a control circuit to use the tuner with non-Icom radios, very simple. The worse drawback is the 4 conductor cable needed. Once you get it run and connected, it is very useful. I could get a match on just about everything I tried, and on all sorts of frequencies.

5. KC6NZJ

Answer many question that pop up.
    Reason for using Ah4. I had move into senior apartment complex to take care of my mother who has Alzheimer.
    I am lucky am on second floor and I have my own attic space so installed 120ft loop into ah4. I was planning to use ic706. I had looked at selling my two 706 radios remote cable and extra control head and buy 7100. So I also looked at ts-480sat plus ft-991 since they all have rebates. I know 7100 plug and play, I know 480 be hook directly hooked up with few passive parts. I was ??? on 991.
    Reason I got 991 silent key his xyl paid the handy man who installed station the money owed with equipment. He placed equipment on consignment at pawn shop who put ad on Craigslist. I got whole station for less than price of 991 also when i ran the serial number of the radio manufacture date is only Dec 2015.
    I have looked at Icom Turner group at Yahoo it's where got 120ft loop.
    But nothing shows up for 991. I see plans for universal controller but do to over load of caring for my mother I don't think I'll ever get it do plus am getting arthritis in my right hand have issues to soldering an pl-259 don't know if I could build it.
    I did get mfj rotatable 2m to 40m dipole in deal. But I am to fat go up into attic to install it. Loop was installed by my friend who drove from Phoenix to Temecula California where am at to help me out one holiday weekend.

Any ideas or anyone knows where I can buy controller already made. I know there was company made one but no longer in business.

Thanks and 73's
    Peter
    KC6NZJ

6. W6OGC

So, if I understand it, you have a loop in the attic already, a 991 already, an AH-4 already. Do you have a 4 conductor cable to reach from your operating position to the AH-4? How about coax from rig to tuner? Do you have 13.8VDC for the radio and accessories?

I have a control box, the circuit shown in Yahoo Groups. It isn't all that pretty but it worked flawlessly with my Omni VI and Vi+ and the AH-4. You need connectionS to AH-4 and 13.8VDC.

I don't use it anymore. Are you good on QRZ?

7. KC6NZJ

Hi

Hill Country I use to live in Kerrville. I upgraded my license there at Kerrville ham club. I love it there but my issues of my mother made me pick California over Texas and Arizona.

To answer your questions.

Yes I have the 4 conductor cable coming down to station location and also coax. Also power supply. All is need start wiring the radio up.

Question update on qrz am lost there.
    Address on my license I believe I haven't updated it from Kerrville address.
    But what ever qrz has for email address is current.

73's
    Peter

8. W6OGC

That's too bad. Kerrville is a pretty good place to live. I spent 45 years in CA before finally getting back home to the hill country.

Unfortunately, I can't mail my control box to your e-mail address. Either send me your mailing address or update your QRZ page and let me know.

9. KE0CAA

KE0CAA Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W6OGC

I've stared at this for most of the ten years I used my AH-4, and never could figure out what it was supposed to accomplish. It looks like an elegant, albeit very complicated, solution for which there is no known problem.