Hood Mount for Class C RV

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K3SZ, Mar 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do any of you RV'ers know which hood mount will work for the driver's side on a 2018 Ford Class C RV based on the E450 platform? I'm unable to find a convincing answer despite some extensive searches on the 'net. I haven't taken delivery of the RV yet. It appears either/or of these may work from Comet Antenna but I was hoping someone who has done this already would know.

I'm aware of the limitations of placing an antenna in this location. I'm just seeking compatibility info.

FO2ANTPF
    [​IMG]

SDANTPF
    [​IMG]

2. KD0MOA

KD0MOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mounted my ATAS120 on the ladder and grunded to frame. Works well.
    KD0MOA

3. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't clarify that this is for a NMO mount that will be connected to a VHF/UHF antenna to be determined. All my HF ops are done while parked since I string up a 50' inverted-L.

4. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

If I remember right your fenders are made of aluminum . In the wind your antenna will vibrate and cause damage.
    Look for A more stable mount and use more than one bolt.
    Just an observation AE7XG

5. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They might be aluminum (will have to do the magnet test to find out) but this is only for a 19" whip antenna -- negligible wind load . Anything taller hits the cab portion of the RV that extends forward. I ended up with the SDANTPF mount shown further up this thread. It does tip the antenna forward some but everything is working fine and not loosening up.

6. KC5NCZ

KC5NCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

On my 24 foot Tioga, I used a through-the-glass mount on the window of the cabin just above the driver's door. It was out of the way, and worked very well.

Bruce
    KC5NCZ

7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the height advantage would work well but I needed to stay at the hood. I found that the mount I selected ended up working fine and allows a decent ground plane for the quarter wave I used. I bonded the hood to the chassis as well.

Moderators: Feel free to close this thread. Specific question has been resolved.