Honda EU3000i generator and HF Amplfier compatibility

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WF9Q, Apr 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

At least it has Twist Locks.

2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi John. I always enjoy our exchanges, no matter how absurd they get. Hope all is good with you.

Regarding generators - You are right about one thing - I usually go for quality over price. So far I've been rewarded with long service life and uneventful, quiet and safe operation. And please don't compare a quality 2-stoke marine engine with a $97 Chinese 2-stroke super-economy priced generator. I have a 1967 Evinrude 6HP Fisherman and a 1969 Mercury 20 HP outboard that still run fine. But they were bought new, were fairly expensive at the time and well built. While cost does not guarantee quality, most of the time "You get what you pay for."

I just disagree with quality generators (Honda, Yamaha, etc) being slammed in favor of using disposable $97 junk to power $1000+ of delicate electronics. If that's what your budget calls for, and your personal time is cheap, and you feel like taking a real chance with your equipment, that's your business. I don't and would not advise anyone who is new to backup power to ever rely on a REALLY cheap generator - there is too much potential for damage to equipment whose value is far greater than the generator. Same goes for $7, 35 amp no-name Ebay power supplies. These are NOT smart risks and its pretty irresponsible to encourage persons who have no experience to takes these risks without understanding them.

Is there a middle ground? Yes, there is. There are plenty of modestly priced conventional (and noisy) generators that have real electronic voltage regulation, are well built and safe to use. You probably own at least one, from your previous comments. Like my ancient and still working Generac 4000XL with EVR. Yes - I have a herd of generators, for various purposes in various locations, and use them all, including at a cabin in the deep woods, at business locations with no readily available power, and at home during frequent blackouts due to an overloaded city electrical grid. Hence my strong opinion - my experience is different from yours. And I really LIKE reliability.

By the way, have you ever TRIED a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator - if you do, you might never go back :)

Best Regards,

Brian K6BRN

KC9BNW likes this.
  3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW John - When I said the EU6500is will happily cover a 7KW surge, I mean a 20-minute+ surge, not 2 seconds. As far as I can tell it seems to be built to handle 7KW continuous - the studio crews out here swear by them for lighting and normally push them to 7KW continous. For short durations, it does better.

Paul - the best bang for the buck is probably a never-used second-hand Generac 4000XL with full pressurized lube system and automotive oil filter, for $250. They have an easily adjusted EVR unit, parts are readily available, they are easy to repair and they were made before Generac sold its small generator business to a low-cost leader. So many were made that there is still quite a few in circulation, in like-new condition. That's the Hoss Trader answer. But I'd just buy a (new) Honda and be done with it. Peace of mind is worth a lot, in my book.

Brian - K6BRN

4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Honda...

Ed

5. KH2G

KH2G Ham Member QRZ Page

Given a choice, I would try to use a diesel such as used in the larger motor homes. They tend to be quit and rugged.

6. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best ideas I ever had (they are so few and far between) was to convert my little Honda generator to run on natural gas. My natural gas system was already plumbed for an outdoor grill. I've had disruptions to my electrical power and to my water supply, but never to my natural gas supply--that in three states.

7. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

By nature diesels are noisy engines so a lot of sound proofing is needed. A friend of mine has a diesel power semi portable (because it is about 235 lbs) and it is very noisy mechanically as well as exhaust. Not very smooth either. Many years ago Onan made some nice smooth and quiet gas powered RV units powered by a 2 cylinder opposed flat head. Today any still around have usually suffered from neglect (lack of maintenance) and burn oil if they still run. Many a generator of all brands have gone to early graves for lack of oil changes and or checking oil levels. Oil is a air cooled motor has a hard life as it no only lubes engine but cools parts in it as well which heat oil a lot which breaks down oil sooner than in you car.

8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much for posting, your information and insight is greatly appreciated. After way too much analysis of something so simple my decision is a EU7000is, it has 240V. That is the only way I will get enough power out of an amp to justify all the cost. An ideal solution would be 2 of the EU3000is IF, again IF you could shift the phase and get 240V instead of running parallel 120 V, it would be very easy to balance the cost/load.

9. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

If someone would develop a 240 v interface instead of the parallel, that would be an economical choice. Since they are matching the phase for 120 v, it should be simple to shift it 180 degrees.