Honda EU3000i generator and HF Amplfier compatibility

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WF9Q, Apr 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to be aware. Are there any failure trends with the Chinese production?

There's bad China quality and good China quality. It all depends on the specification and management of the manufacturing process. Excellent high reliability products are made there, but, yes, many lousy cheap ones. I doubt that Honda would allow itself to be in the lousy category, but stranger things have happened.

Just looked, mine are made in Japan.

2. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Honda like most companies is profit orientated in the end.

3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not quality alone, yes China does make products that are exceeding quality standards of many of their peers(actually the number is so large it is scary). Just two of the many issues are the currency exchange rate and the known fact they are destroying the environment during the manufacture of their products.

4. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

China is actually more serious about getting green long term than US. They are building nuclear power plants are record rates and far quicker than US because of employing a larger labor pool. China plans to put a man on moon in future too. China is not the backward country of past.

5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine is S/N 1103509 and the compliance label clearly reads "MADE IN JAPAN."

This one advertised on line evidently says the same thing, although it's a lower S/N:

Displaying LABELS parts for the Honda EU3000IS AC - Honda Generator, 3000 watts, Made in Japan, SN: EZGF-1080001

I don't know what S/N they're up to now, as mine is >2 years old.

7. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used Honda inverter generators for more than a decade for portable power (EU1000is, EU2000is) and home backup (EU6500is). If you can afford them, that's the way to go. They simply work, are quiet and sip fuel. I've found Honda's ratings to be very conservative, especially on the EU6500is, which handles 7 KW surges with ease. No RF problems with mine, either.

Having used some of the cheaper Chinese generators, and in particular the $97 2-cycle specials, I've been alarmed at the relative lack of regulation, electrical line noise and poor response to step loads they have. After experimenting with one and finding it very unsatisfactory, I sold it at a swap meet. But some do swear by them as a cheap and usable power source.

Simply go on line and read the many, many Honda reviews for ANY of their inverter generators (try Generators Direct) and compare them to a 900w 2-cycle Harbor Freight unit. At least you'll know what you are likely to get. And YES, there are BIG differences, in PRICE, PERFORMANCE and QUALITY.

The only complaints I've really heard about Honda's is from people who have left gas in them for a year or more, which will pretty much clog up the jets of the carburetor of any small generator. Once that happens, a $75 carb cleaning will be needed.

Quote from Harbor Freight review on their 900 Watt 2-cycle unit "The little engine constantly hunts for a stable rpm. I removed the small 'plastic square plug' on the carb to reveal a screw that I turned in to settle it down and stabilize its rpm. There is also an external screw below the gas tank hidden under the rim of the tank to help with adjusting the governor. With no load, the voltage read on my FLUKE VOM was 90-143 volts. Once a load of 150 watts of incandescent bulbs was added, it simmered down to 110-130 volts. I watched this for over 30 minutes and varied loads to see what worked best. This generator is not made to run anything electronic. I hoped I could clean up the voltage spikes by plugging in an APC UPS [battery back up power supply for computers, etc] and it remained on battery and wouldn't allow this generator to power it up due to the voltage constantly varying wildly. "

Good Luck.

Brian K6BRN

8. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

A 7kw surge for a 6500 watt unit is not impressive at all. My Porter Cable 5500watt is rated at 9000 watts surge and it has no RFI either.

Most people that complain about 2 strokes not running right, do not feed them right. I have had no problems with any of my 2 stroke motors and I have about 7 of them too is various applications.

Funny how you compare a cheap 2 stroke to a expensive one with nothing in middle. Your point is to make Honda look great next to a 100 dollar import?

The problem is most forget to shut off fuel and as gas evaporates in carb it is replaced via gravity feed and additives can build up in carb as gas evaporates over a period of time. Shut fuel off and there is not enough additives in a carb bowl after gas evaporates to cause a problem.

Once again funny as I have not had any of those issues. All two strokes tend to motor boat a bit (miss fire a bit) under no load but they can keep a stable RPM doing it. If you use wrong gas and wrong mixture they can run poorly. With proper gas, spark plug and oil mixture they can well for many years and never need a oil change.

9. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it come with hearing protection or a 1500' extension cord??? Gotta have one or the other.

KA9JLM and WA4SIX like this.
  10. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

<...snip...>

If not Honda, whose is the best with the most bang for the buck ?