Honda EU3000i generator and HF Amplfier compatibility

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WF9Q, Apr 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

My spares are different sizes. Harbor Freight 900 watt sees most usage with 3k next and 5.5k last. As far as noise, 3k is not that loud and at 50 feet is not heard in microphone. I like to be able to confirm its health and load by sound from it in distance

2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Not me!!!

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not me, either.

Operating in the field means sometimes the generator is almost right next to you. Especially if you run a big amp, you don't want a long power cord (unless you want to use a #10 extension cord, which is pretty expensive).

With the Honda, you won't hear it. Some others may be that quiet, too.

N9FM likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How can you tell if it is running or not ? :p

5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

This is one of the great unknown mysteries that more than likely would qualify for a 5 million dollar research grant from the government........

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would NEVER want a generator next to me quiet or not!! Dumb. (heat and fumes for one) As far as cost of extension cords that is lame too as they are dirt cheap compared to price of a Honda generator (you could buy ten of them and a non Honda generator for less than just Honda generator) and you should have a few good ones around anyway. Also if I was running legal limit on a amp on field day I would run it on 240 and because on less voltage drop (and less effect of that drop vs 120) no big cord for amp is needed.

Something else to remember that few understand is that if you have a dual voltage generator (ie 120/240) you can only get 1/2 the rated wattage of generator on one circuit/plug/leg because the rating is based on both legs being used. There are a few medium sized generators out there that have a switch on them to enable full current on 120 via 30amp socket but most do not. If you plan to draw a lot on 120, get a 120 volt only unit with enough wattage for job or a bigger dual voltage one.

7. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

My radio is still working. Elementary, Watson.

N9FM, KA9JLM and KS4W like this.
  8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, just go to Harbor Freight & buy their best cords that will melt at the connections.
    The difference between you & I is that when presented with this situation, I would buy the good generator 25' of #10/4 SO cord. I would then build a distribution system with circuit breakers & receptacles to make it proper. You would most likely buy the cheapest cords you can & fry your amp, due to voltage drop & cheap product.
    Yes, it can be done "Your" way, but, I would do it "My" way, as I would feel safer & not worry about the expensive equipment.

Ed

9. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Who said Harbor Freight for extension cords?? Also I have seen plug ends fails on main cord for SOCKET not cord plug. Socket pins lack tension for a good connection with plug in it and plug overheats and many blame it rather than socket itself.

On building your own distribution box, you can buy them cheaper complete with cord than you could build a good one. But, that does not get past 1/2 wattage limit per leg and you still need to balance load.

10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Please post the country of origin marked on your Honda. The more I look at different models it is becoming very clear that all of them are coming out of the same factory in China. Especially all the smaller ones under so many different brand labels, they appear to be just tweaked a little bit for cosmetics. At this point if the Honda is not clearly marked made in Japan I am going to consider the units that are made in China, why pay almost double for what you "might believe" is a quality made in Japan unit for something that is made in China like the rest for a fraction of the cost.