ad: cq2k-1

Honda EU3000i generator and HF Amplfier compatibility

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WF9Q, Apr 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Cute video. Looks like a genset my friend has. There is a compression release lever that you have to push before each pull on pull starter are it will do as in video as it cannot be pull started with it. (poster did not read instructions) As far as flame, if injector pump timing is retarded too much it will after burn in muffler and eventually melt down head too in exhaust port area. If it was over rich it would of had a lot of visible black smoke and when they lean out they smoke blueish.

It is quite possible that Honda donated gen sets for PR because it is not cost effective otherwise vs other solutions.

2. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

In the vid's beginning, he said diesel? Didn't sound like a diesel, but I guess it was. I would hate
    to drag that thing out at a camp ground.

3. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a oil burner. Looks just like a friend's and sounds like it too. It has a manual throttle on governor too so you can run it slower for a few minutes to warm it up before full RPM run. Loudest generator I have ever been around.

4. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

John:

Yes, you are probably right. I have no doubt that Honda provides their products free of charge to anybody who asks, just for the publicity. I'm going to try that one at the dealer down the road and pick up an Accord, if I'm lucky. If I don't run into a fence post first.

Glad people enjoyed the generator self-destruct video. Funniest one I've seen yet. And I'm sure it was cost effective, before it caught fire and began belching molten engine parts into the snow.

Brian - K6BRN

KC9BNW likes this.
  5. KI5WW

Thanks for the reply. What the heck is an oil burner? In my world it is a gas or a diesel.

I get it now. I got bit. Darn just when you think you got a full sea bag, you realize nothing is stenciled.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Oil burner is another term for a diesel. Not that accurate maybe but it is not meant to be complimentary either. I worked used my friends diesel generator a bit and it was a ruff vibrating beast and very noisy and smelly when running. He bought it at Lowe's on a clearance sale. It was 1600 marked down several times till he bought it for 450 as it was not selling. After using it I can see why.

7. KI5WW

Thanks. I get it now. I should have known that but I did not. I am happy with my Honda eu2000. I knew when I bought it that there were others on the market which were not near as expensive but the Honda was what I wanted. I am still satisfied with my decision. I often choose the simple method. Shopping for generator's can resemble trying to understand the rate structure's of today's cell phones. You won't be sure if your satisfied till you use it for several days and even then your still confused.

8. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant to comment on this. When I was commenting on efficiency I was not talking how long it will run light load. I was commenting on watt hours per pound of fuel consumed. The greatest efficiency occurs generally occur between 1/4 to 1/2 of rated output. At higher levels you see a drop on watt hours per lb of fuel burned. On other side of coin at very light loads you may see longer run times but you will also see a drop in watt hours per lb of fuel burned.