Honda EU3000i generator and HF Amplfier compatibility

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WF9Q, Apr 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My personal experience is that the Honda generators usually exceed their ratings - but don't take it from me...

The following link provides some interesting information on one of the most demanding industrial uses for the Honda EU6500is generator, the father of the EU7000is - kino lighting. The EU6500is generators are operated at 7.5 KW continuous load and testing indicates 7.65 KW continuous capacity - far beyond their ratings. There is also an interesting rationale as to why so much spare capacity is built in. Discussion of this generators unusual ability to drive loads with very poor power factors is discussed, too. If you'd like some insight into why this machine is so highly rated - look here.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=43560

Brian (fence post) K6BRN :)

N9FM and N0TZU like this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian,

Thank you very much for all the good information, it is greatly appreciated.

3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The first paragraph from that post:
    "We are not just providing an additional 1000W, but 2000 more watts because the 7500 Watt load we put on our modified Honda EU6500is is a continuous load. How we modify the generator is proprietary information."
    That is interesting.....

4. K6BRN

Yes. I suspect the lighting companies modify the interconnect and bypass the mechanical 30A breakers, relying only on the electronic breaker for overload protection. This would allow them to draw 7.5 KW (~63A) continuously without popping a button breaker. But they also attach a transformer to the output to drive the kinos. They are definitely pushing the generators very hard.

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

A "smart" user would get a bigger generator that would handle load better with reserve and with better economy too as all generators have their poorest fuel efficiency at max load.

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

This might be the key phrase, my thoughts would be RPM is increased and running it out of the sweet spot for power/fuel economy. They really don't have many options that could be changed easily, I suspect the throttle adjustment screw is their "secret".

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked on some big gens that used cat engines and they had excellent throttle controllers.

A real good generator runs at 1800 RPM and has a heavy flywheel for inductive surge loads.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  8. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect they are indeed overspending inverter generator to boost output and shorten service life. (kinda like using a 1/2 ton pickup to do the work of a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, it will work for a while until it fails from overload) Generators make there best power per gallon of gas up to about 40 to 50% of rated max load. After that efficiency drops quickly in watt hours per gallon of fuel in all brands.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

They MUST use 1800 RPM there because it is not practical to run them at 3600 RPM. Also when you go to 1800 RPM the weight of generators increasing greatly and power efficiency per pound of weight drops a lot.

10. K6BRN

Hi John:

You stated above that: "A "smart" user would get a bigger generator that would handle load better with reserve and with better economy too as all generators have their poorest fuel efficiency at max load."

So, are you really saying the very profitable lighting companies whose business relies on dependability are stupid generator users who have just happened to get away with overloading the poorly performing and overpriced Honda EU6500is, which somehow does not blow up, kill their profit and enrage their customers by failing in the middle of a shoot?

On the other hand, maybe they thought the problem through, tested their setup and have years of good experience, as the grip posts say, and the EU6500is is reliable, even when pushed hard. Mine has certainly never let me down. And I live right next to Manhattan Studios/Marvel. Whenever a new production crew pulls up, their trucks usually have a few of the Honda rigs on them, both EU6500is kino and EU2000is utility lighting sets. So I guess it works for them.

BTW - Decent generators are usually least efficient at MINIMUM load, which is why too big a unit is a mistake from a fuel economy perspective. Prime power diesels in particular do not tolerate light loads well and perform best at the upper end of their load curves. But I'd believe an overloaded generator is inefficient as well.

Regarding cheap generators, see amusing video at:

Brian K6BRN

N0TZU likes this.