Honda EU3000i generator and HF Amplfier compatibility

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WF9Q, Apr 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred:

I think you'll like the EU7000is, the updated version of my EU6500is. The 7000 is now fuel injected for more efficiency and to handle stale fuel better. No reported problems so far on the generator forums as far as I've checked, with this relatively new model. The main downside to this unit (other than cost) is its weight - about 250 lbs. Luckily it is mounted on strong wheels and has a good, folding wheelbarrow-like handle bars to move it around - its built like a tank. I use my EU6500is for home backup, providing 240 VAC to my entrance panel. Its easy to forget I'm on backup power when its running because its quiet (and I'm on a small beach city lot) and the power is steady and clean.

Brian - K6BRN

N9FM likes this.
  2. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not likely as if one unit dumps you have nothing in parallel you still have 120. Plus safety concerns.

3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Fortunately, I have a set of forks for the tractor!!! It will be a good fit with my 100% solar shack because it will dedicated to the amp and AC. Since it has a remote start this feature will make it very easy to provide on demand power so it will not be burning fuel/cash for nothing.

4. K5PHW

K5PHW Ham Member QRZ Page

You will be happy with the EU7000i. I have had no service issues with them.

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Given that it is only a 5.5 kw unit not a 7k as implied and it price it is not a good value at all. A lot of better and cheaper options out there unless you want to brag about how much you spent on it. Kinda like you have to have LMR 400 for HF. Lot of nice generators out here for 1/2 price or less of Honda.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bragging Rights are expensive.

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All generators are marketed with their surge watt rating, not the much lower continuous rating.

For example, the one YOU lauded above, the Champion Inverter at Cabelas, is labeled a 2000 watt but is only rated for 1600 continuous :rolleyes:.

As for mere bragging, Honda vs. the others reminds me of the old catch phrase from The Guns of Will Sonnett:

"No brag, just fact".

K5PHW likes this.
  8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

LMR 400 is all I use for the HF, nothing wrong with that.

N9FM likes this.
  9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The max surge for a 1 nano second duration seems to be the norm, my observation. They all mention surge however neglect to mention the time interval for their measurement. Good example and the reason for my initial post is the over rated Generac 3250 noise maker I have. It has a 20 amp breaker that trips out on a radial arm saw starting up, the saw does not trip a 20 amp breaker when it is connected to a stiff source (off the pole).

10. K5PHW

K5PHW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had the all of the EU series on a load bank. I can verify they deliver the goods.
    Porter Cable? Pffft. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. He will argue with a fence post.

N9FM, N0TZU and WA4SIX like this.