Homemade OPC581 remote cable

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W1RDS, Mar 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9JOB

KC9JOB Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KC9JOB

I realize this post is 5 years old, but to answer your question Yes, I have designed and built custom connectors that plug into the control head and IC-706 radio with using RJ45 plugs and Cat5 standard cable for interconnect. The head and radio are 25+ feet apart without any problem. The bodies are 3D printed using PETG filament. Two custom two sided boards with plated through holes, solder mask and silk screen are used to connect the RJ45 plugs and the "pogo Pins" and pads. Obviously, no modification is required. If your interested, I can add some pictures.
    Regards, Jeff KC9JOB

3. KC8TCB

KC8TCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Are these still available. There is nothing on ebay. Contact me if available.

4. KC9JOB

This is what I've designed and made. They require no modifications to either the control head or radio. If you are still interested, contact me: jeff.whalin@gmail.com.
    KC9JOB
    IC-706 Radio conn.jpg IC-706 Control Head .jpg IMG_20200114_162335.jpg IMG_20200114_162107.jpg IMG_20200114_162038.jpg

2E0TGK and US7IGN like this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Did someone solve the problem of a broken latch? Maybe there is a drawing for 3D printer?

Attached Files:

6. 5B8BA

5B8BA Ham Member QRZ Page

There's connectors at https://www.ebay.com/c/1281218826 (US $27.43) - connected with RJ45 cable/connectors.

Just taken a closer look. It's made by in Germany www.DM5AL-de

* BUT
    he hasn't had PCBs from China since January & overseas postage from EU restricted.

Once for the near (hopefully) future.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  7. KM4BOF

KM4BOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Any chance you're able to release the STL/Gerber/BoM for this design?

8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of the kits, recently obtained from an eBay vendor. I also have two of the OPC-581 cables. One of the -581s I have is going to be used on a motorcycle project (see my posts in the Mobile subforum) and I'll keep the other as a backup. The kit setup will be used inside a vehicle should I want to run the transceiver there.

Be nice if they were freely available.

US7IGN likes this.
  9. KG9IO

KG9IO Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to you.

Ed