ad: M2Ant-1

Homemade 50W Amplifier

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KK9JEF, Jul 14, 2018 at 7:03 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK9JEF

KK9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm certainly not the first to walk this path, but I made some good progress tonight on a 50W portable amplifier. It's very much in the vein of the classic WA2EBY IRF510-based amp, with some details borrowed from G0KLA and VU2ESE's related projects. 5W in, 50-60W out.

My only real novel idea is to insert a switch to allow the FETs to be driven either from a single 13.8V source or two in series, to provide multiple options for portable operating. At 13.8V, it puts out about 15W.

Lots of work yet to be done, but I made a quick progress video, just so exciting to pump 50W out of a homemade circuit for the first time, without anything blowing up:

N1OOQ, AC0OB, KB4QAA and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK9JEF

KK9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Started working on a PCB for this project today, including schematic capture. I did this as a live stream, so the video's almost two hours long (!), but might be of some interest. I got through the full schematic capture but didn't get to the actual component layout

First time trying a live stream - pretty easy to set up, and fun!