Homebrew VHF/UHF seller?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Nov 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

The other night, I heard some elmers ragchew about people who sell homebrew vhf/uhf equipment.
    One of them mentioned that he had recently purchased a handheld type of radio and loved it because of the superior quality of the receiver. Unfortunately, they couldn't hear me so I couldn't ask any questions, and google has not yet given me helpful results.
    This, of course, has spiked my interest!
    What have y'all heard/seen about homebrew vhf/uhf equipment sellers? 73

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...

I don't know about anything like that now, but back in the day, there was the VHF engineering 2 meter handheld. This is the best picture I could find, but it was basically a clunky metal box with a pushbutton on the side.

[​IMG]

K3XR and KP4SX like this.
  3. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is cool, but there must be something out there newer, or even recent.
    Part of their conversation of the homebrew VHF radio they were discussing went something like: "hope you got the right crystals", and the response was "my crystals don't work too well with my transistors", hihi. And one guy also mentioned the LED screen for it....

4. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Presuming you have their callsigns, do they have email addresses listed here? Are they in the phone book?

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who homebrews VHF hand-helds?

What a crazy project that would be.

I could homebrew an equivalent to some popular models, and it would likely cost at least $1000 each.

A bit like homebrewing a refrigerator: It's possible, but who would do this?

WQ4G likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

@VK4HAT might give both of these challenges a go ;):D

Dave
    W7UUU

KN4LGM and VK4HAT like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

They have refrigeration down under?

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes but hot is cold and cold is hot. Confusing but they work it out

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS, AD7WB and K8XG like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW...That brings back some memories. Also, the page is from Ham Radio magazine. Back in the day when you received at least 4 radio-related mags each month.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured since everything there is out to kill you, cool air would be welcomed.

I figured wrong. It's trying too.