ad: Stlouis-1

Homebrew Spiderbeam, not using the commercial kit...

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AE7F, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

It survived the 60mph gusts. Tough yet flexible antennas.

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your fine sucess and accomplishing what most of us here said couldn't be done (using PVC (in part)for the spreaders).

Hope to work you before I take down my antennas around the end of this month, Ben. I usually am listening around 21250-300 phone most days so maybe you can add KH6 to your list of dx worked soon.

Have fun and do post a bunch of pix when you can, OK?

73, Jeff

3. WB4CMB

WB4CMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ben
    Let me be the second to congratulate you! Your hard work has paid off. How high is the SB now?
    I see what you mean by the reduction to a 15/10/6 size wouldn't help that much. I rx'd my quad book today. Good read. I went to the local HRO today , discussed baluns a bit, looked at some snap on ferrite beads, need to read up a bunch more on them before selecting any though. A simple wound coax balun would be the least expensive versus the beads would be the easiest and most convenient. Also, looks like if I added beads to coiled coax, it would not only improve the choke effect but it would increase the BW.
    If you are ever in the Denver metro area, give me a call and I will take you out to eat, you've been quite helpful to me. Ph 303 343 9175 Thanks Ray

4. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Ray, you don't owe me a thing. I'm just happy to discuss the project with others. The beam is still at ~20ft but I was able to extend the launcher this morning, so raising it further is now possible by just loosening the guys while cranking it up.

Jeff, I will get with you for the sched.

5. DJ0IP

DJ0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that makes me the third to congratulate you, Ben.
    I hope the storm did not reap too much wrath on you and your antenna.

I think we need to start calling you "SpiderBen".

Let me just add a comment on something I read earlier: adding 6m to the antenna.

It is not going to work. The interaction with the other elements cause it to perform about like a dipole on 6m.
    You are better off mounting a lightweight 6m beam above the Spiderbeam.

Rick, DJ0IP
    Gemuenden, Germany

P.S. Ben, it's my job to know what your're doing (hi). But on this QRG I prefer just to SWL.

6. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick. Nice to hear from you over here. Thanks for the well wishes. The antenna survived. It was not only cold and icy but it was also very windy. There was ice coating the boom and spreaders and all of the wiring and rope. Wind gusts died down from 60 to about 30 the day it iced up. You recall I asked how tough these antennas are and I think the key is their flexibility. It did very well in the wind.

hahaha... I was wondering what to call the antenna....

Well, I know people are looking because this thread already has over 6000 views.... Nice to see you here, Rick.

I am very happy with the antenna. I am still operating it at only ~20ft but I have everything necessary and can crank it up higher when ready. I will probably wait for the spring storms to pass through. I have enough mast and standpipe for about 40ft but the antenna is performing well right now. It does have F/B ratio as well - I've discovered this as I've rotated it.

This is a nice looking antenna as well. It only seems big on the ground but it doesn't seem that big up on the mast.

So, overall I am happy with the antenna. The difference between this an my G5RV is that with the G5RV, I call and get ready to call again; with the spiderbeam, I call and get ready to copy. In other words, I expect to be heard.

So Rick, when are you and Con going to add 40m? ;)

Cheers to you guys for a really nice antenna.

7. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

I know, I know - poor picture. I'll post something better when the sun comes out. But here is a cursory look at the project:
    0319021323a.jpg

I'm sure the guy lines and chain link fence have an effect on the pattern. I will deal with this in better weather and raising the antenna to full height will also help.

8. WB4CMB

WB4CMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick,
    Thanks for the info on 6m. I'm the one, or at least one of the ones, who mentioned it here. If I only rigged for
    20/15/10 and then wanted to add 6m, would that work, due to less elements to interact with? What if I tried for
    15/10/6? Wonder if it interacts mostly only with one or more other elements? I'm just doing my homework, haven't started construction yet. I have been inactive for many years and am just now getting back into ham radio. I am extremely limited with a small backyard of 30 X 60 ft. The city frowns on anything that would reach neighbor's yard or house if it fell. Thanks Ray

9. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't apologize for the photo, Ben---it's great! Your SB really looks like the commercial one, at least to me.

Thanks to Rick for answering our 6M ruminations---I think it would best to make a monoband 6M SB and aim for 5-8 elements as long as we're at it; I wonder what that would look like? Perhaps just as long but much narrower? Ray, I think the interaction with even elements for any other band(s) would negate the benefits and skew the pattern, but that is only my guess after reading what Rick said.

SpiderBen; this is my last full week QRV from KH6 as both the hamshack and all antennas are disassembled/coming down around the 26th or 27th of March (otherwise the xyl will murder me). I will be QRV on 10, 15 and 20m phone for the CQ WPX Contest the weekend before. As for a sked; I propose 2015-2045Z most days this week (except Wednesday when I go to work early) around 21255 mHz +- a few kcs. for a clear phone freq. Would this work for you?

73, Jeff

10. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Ben; I'm QSX on 21257 now (255 has a computer birdie) and will park there next several days around 2000-2100Z. Hope to hear your SB signal and work you very soon!

73, Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.