ad: UR5CDX-1

Homebrew Paddles and FT-450D Dits but no Dahs!

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by N2AZN, May 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. N2AZN

N2AZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I have built a set of paddles I am trying to get working on my FT-450D. I can get the dits but no dahs. Ive tried all kinds of wires, but even a plain ole 3 wire piece of wire will not produce the dahs. I have wired the plug according to Yaesus FT-450D manual but nothing.....anyone one got any ideas that may help me?

2. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you checked the continuity on each side of the paddle with an ohmeter? If that is ok then at least you've eliminated the paddle as the problem. Cant help you if its the radio.

3. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have the electronic keyer enabled with the "Keyer" button depressed? If not, you are in straight key mode.

EDIT: It just hit me that if you were in straight key mode, you wouldn't actually get a 'dit' but rather a constant tone. Hmmm....looking through manual for suggestions.

4. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In your menu, is 'CWPADDL' set to 'MIC' or 'KEY'? If set to 'MIC', then the UP/DOWN keys on the mic are used for CW keying. The manual doesn't say whether or not this will disable CW keying with a paddle, but it's a suggestion.

Another suggestion is to change the 'CW KEY' setting from 'NORM' to 'REVERSE' to see if that make any difference.

5. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you send both dits and dahs if you just touch wire to wire? In other words, disconnect the cord from the paddle andtouch one wire to ground and you should get dits, touching the other wire to ground should form dahs. At least doing this will tell you if the problem is within the wiring of your paddle. If it works with only the cord, the problem is in the paddle.

If this doesn't help, then try checking your cord with a multimeter. UNPLUG the cord from the rig. Test continuity of each conductor separately, then test each for shorts to the others. You should find only end to end continuity on each wire, no continuity wire to wire.

Now do the same test on the paddle. Test each terminal (dit and dah) for continuity to the common post when you press it. Each should show continuity to common, but only when pressed. There should be no continuity from the dit post to the dah post.

If you can rule out the paddle and the cord, then you know the issue exists within the rig.

WN1MB likes this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

https://ham.stackexchange.com/quest...-to-troubleshoot-problems-with-the-keyer-jack

7. AJ4SN

AJ4SN Ham Member QRZ Page

Take care not to keep the wires shorted together too long as you unscramble this problem. When wiring up my FT897 to a keyer some years ago, I held the "dahs" wire on too long, and it resulted in a blown resistor in the radio. The tiny chip resistors were not made for continuous operation. I was able to repair, but it was not easy.

Stan

WN1MB likes this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for an altogether too rare a post of a downside of SMT technology.

Though wonderful for packing oodles of circuits and features into incredibly small space, the size reduction of parts does carry some risk of failure.

KC2SIZ likes this.
  9. M0TNM

M0TNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

just hit the keyer button bottom LHS and it will work