Homebrew MOT PSU Diagram?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by MM0IMC, Dec 3, 2019 at 4:38 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone got a useful microwave oven transformer based HT supply circuit diagram?

I've been searching on the net but haven't found anything suitable for my requirements...

I acquired an old MOT last week and have removed the shunts in it. With LV 14.1V AC fed into the primary, it's giving 110V AC out, so should be okay for a GI-7B based amplifier with 240V AC input to give about 1,900V AC out once rectified and smoothed.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is one end of the winding still grounded? These were originally used with 1/2 wave rectification; there have been articles published regarding using two of the transformers with the cases floating and not grounded to provide for a full-wave bridge, which is a way better idea.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I found one article I was thinking of.

The January 2014 issue of QST, pages 33-34 show how to use, match, implement MOTs for a tube type amplifier power supply.

Author strongly recommended using two identical or nearly identical transformers to create a full-wave rectifier system. The balance of the article describes all the "how to do it" stuff.
    MOTs for an amplifier.PNG