ad: Alphaant-1

Homebrew microphone scissor arm

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KB8YVC, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KB8YVC

KB8YVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Being in close proximity to Mendelsons in Dayton Ohio, made the trip down last Saturday. Gathered up a bounty of connectors, ground straps, and goodies, and decided to head to the Parts Express showroom. Found a nice dynamic studio mic for less than ten bucks with cable! Grabbed a wind screen for good measure.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=249-120

Got home and realized I needed a mount. I like the idea of the scissor arm mount so you can position the mic around you. I didn't like the idea of spending $40 on the cheap to $100 plus on one. In comes good old Harbor Freight, and the $10 magnifier swing arm lamp (it's on sale in their recent flyer).
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31679

Remove the magnifier head, a few screws, a few springs, fish out the power wire. Disassemble the XLR connector, and desolder the wires. Fish the mic wire through the arms. Screw the arms back together. Solder the XLR back together AFTER slipping the hood on the cable first! :p Put the screw back in the connector, and then enjoy your hard work.

Still have to mount the mic. Don't have a clip, so will have to engineer one this weekend. If I like how it all works out, I may even spring for one of the isolating one on fleabay!:D

PS, anyone need a magnifier head?;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Using a "desk lamp" assembly has been outlined several times in the past here on QRZ.com. However, it still remains a very inexpensive method and is generally just as good, if not better than, the commercial models that are much more expensive.

Years ago Motorola and General Electric sold such items to be used with the old Shure 55S type of microphones that were popular with public safety dispatchers.

Myself, I use a chrome plated "goose neck" that attaches to the first level above my main console. That keeps the microphone completely "out of the way" of the desk level. But, many operators only have a single level operating desk and this type of microphone mounting is very "handy".

Glen, K9STH

3. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you like the mic? I bought two of those lamps from HF, one to actually use, and one thinking that I may need another mic arm one day.. :)

4. KB8YVC

KB8YVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it on the air yet. Had a get together, and the radio room turned in to a walk in closet. Hi Hi. I need to get my hands on an old 3 button mouse to make another PTT switch. I made the old electret boom mic out of the ARRL handbook many years back, and sacrificed a 3 button mouse. Outer buttons for tune up and down, and the center button for PTT. Or, I could take my current one and connectorize it like Heil does, right off of the 8 pin connector. I just can't remember how many wires it needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.