Homebrew hex beam

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD9AYE, Oct 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9AYE

KD9AYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,
    My friend kd9ick and I are wanting to make 2m/70cm hex beams. I've done some looking around and I can't find dimensions or anything. I don't know how a hex beam works or how to calculate wire lengths. Any help with construction and dimensions would be greatly appreciated

KD9AYE
    KD9ICK

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

While you could scale things down for VHF/UHF hexbeams it would be a lot easier to make Moxons instead; MoxGen will give you all the numbers you'll need.

Better F/B and about the same or more gain, too.

73, Jeff

4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

A two or more element Yagi will beat a hexbeam in forward gain and front-to-back, so why bother? So will a Moxon.

Are you trying for more compact, like for RDF?

5. KD9AYE

KD9AYE Ham Member QRZ Page

our goal was to have directional antennas to point at each other and thought some small 2m hex beams would look cool but it sounds like that may be impractical

6. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A moxon for 2M is about 2 1/2' x 1', pretty small. I made some one years ago but later decided that a 3L broomstick yagi better suited my needs.

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't think of any practical reason to construct a 2m/70cm Hexbeam antenna.

8. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AJ5J likes this.
  9. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

For operating from a shower stall, glass elevator or Porta Potty a 2M/70cm hex beam is just the ticket! Better to build the Traffie style rather than the TXQ wideband hex as it has the smaller turn radius...

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Way too many other options for the freq. you are talking about.