Homebrew CW Key - Low budget model..

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K1IGS, Sep 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

It works.

Since I was little I would pretend to send Morse Code on these.. It took me about an hour to put together and I think my family thinks I'm nuts.

You can even adjust it by sliding the rubber band..

Attached Files:

KM6VOV, N0TZU, CX3CP and 8 others like this.
  2. KN4ORL

KN4ORL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not crazy if it works...

W7UUU and K1IGS like this.
  3. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Be very careful. This will soon turn into an addiction. Soon you will start building more sophisticated keys which will require more sophisticated tools. This will lead to spending money and many hours in the shop creating better and more interesting keys. Eventually people will ask to buy your interesting keys. Which will require even more sophisticated tooling, time and money. So be very careful :) But most of all have fun making and using your keys. I love and use my homebrew keys often. Nothing like using something you created. -Joe N3HEE

NE1U, M6GYU and K1IGS like this.
  4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Low budget CW paddles:

[​IMG]

KC5YSQ, KL7KN, KD2RON and 3 others like this.
  5. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

I love that!

So is that one of the paddle types? Closing the "arms" sends the tone?

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I might build one of those for a kick!

It looks to me like the center pin is connected (under the base) to the common wire of the paddles, with the two bent wires making contact with it. As they can bend independently, these would be iambic paddles.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven’t seen a clothespin in ages! Neat idea.

8. N2UHC

You are correct. I've seen this design in person, though I've never built one. The base is made out of a cap from a juice bottle, and the wire is just a couple of paperclips.

9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I knew how to cut through marble safely with a hand drill, I would like to make a homebrew CW paddle. They sell some really nice marble circles and rectangles that are the perfect size, at a local dollar store -- costing about $4.

10. N2UHC

I would assume that you'd need a masonry bit. Though I don't know if it would shatter the marble or not. That being said, I have epoxied the feet of my Galbraith paddles to a stone countertop sample piece.

W5WTH likes this.