Homebrew at its BEST

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0PU, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0PU

N0PU QRZ Member QRZ Page

2. KD5SCG

KD5SCG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's pretty good, I can barely read a schematic

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Harry, if you get on 40m CW on weekends (daylight hours, when the band's not so hot), you'll hear this rig, or ones that must be just like it!

Drift, chirp, drift, chirp, hum, drift....7040-7070 kHz has become the mecca for boat anchors that almost work. It's still fun to work these guys, though.

Yesterday worked one guy using an ARC-5, and one YL (incredibly enough) using an AN/TR-something or-other that ran 10W xtal controlled on 6 channels, battery-powered, from the Vietnam era (she said it was made in the late-1960's).

I'm tempted to build a rig out of straw, tin cans and razor blades and get in on the fun...

WB2WIK/6

4. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

What can I say......AMAZING! Just think what they would have done if the internet were around then!

5. AD6ZU

AD6ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

There was one web page where someone made a TRX out of nothing but stuff from his kitchen. I believe he even used the "potato battery" trick. I've been searching for this for a while since I never bookmarked it. Has anyone seen it?

Thanks
    Roy
    AD6ZU

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CPC:

If they had access to the Internet back then they wouldn't have had to come up with these clandestine receivers!  

There was a true story printed in 73 back in the early 1960s about a clandestine receiver that an amateur built in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.  

Back in the late 1930s there were 3 amateurs, an American, an Australian, and a Japanese that often had "roundtables" on 20 meter phone.  When World War II started, they each entered the service of their respective countries.  Unfortunately, the American was captured by the Japanese and was interned in a prisoner of war camp.  Since he was an amateur radio operator, he started collecting things and eventually was able to construct a working receiver.  At the time, any prisoner who was caught with a receiver, or even trying to build a receiver, was immediately executed by the guards.

One day a Kempe lieutenant (the Kempe was the Japanese equivalent of the German Gestapo but even harsher in their treatment of prisoners) came into the barracks where the American was housed and found the radio.  The American prisoner knew that he would immediately be executed.  However, the Kempe officer just took the receiver and walked out, saying nothing.  In fact, nothing ever became of the incident.

After the war was over, around 1947, the American happened to run into the Australian on the air.  Finally the discussion came around to the Japanese amateur.  It seems that the Australian had been stationed in Japan after the war and had "looked up" the Japanese.  At the time, the Japanese was very ill, having contracted some tropical disease and he died soon thereafter.  The American said that the situation was "sad" and that he wished that he had met the Japanese amateur even though they had been enemies during the war.

The Australian then replied "Oh, but you did meet him!"  It seems that the Japanese amateur had been the Kempe lieutenant who had found the radio and said nothing!

Glen, K9STH

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen, then you know that with regards to technology, the Americans, Germans and Japanese have had a long ongoing battle.

One day, three successful businessmen -- an American, a German and a Japanese -- decided to play a round of golf at Pebble Beach. At the third tee, the three hear a ringing sound. The American places his hand to his face and starts mumbling, while the other two just stare, bewildered. He says, "You know, I'm so important to my company, they had a cell phone surgically implanted into my hand. My thumb is the microphone, my ring finger is the speaker, and my pinky is the antenna. That way, I'm always available."

Astonishing.

At the fifth tee, another ringing sound. The German stands upright, and just starts talking, to no one they can see. A few minutes later, he stops chatting with his invisible friend, and comes over to the other two. "You know, I'm so important to my company, they had a PCS phone surgically implanted in my head. That way, my hands are completely free to do other tasks while I'm taking business calls."

Amazing.

At the seventh tee, the Japanese man runs behind a bush, out of sight of the other two. A few minutes later, his partners get curious and start looking for him.

They find the Japanese crouching behind a bush, with his trousers and undershorts down around his ankles. The American asks him, "What the heck are you doing?"

The Japanese replies: "I'm waiting for a FAX."

8. N0PU

N0PU QRZ Member QRZ Page

I saw one of those FAX things the other day...Some woman came outta the john and it was evident she had forgotten to tear her FAX off before coming out...

9. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Harry, now we know what Jackie Gleason was doing in Smokey and the Bandit..!

Bill, W0LPQ

10. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] remember the yards with the rolled FAX paper hanging from the tree limbs and around the bushes last Halloween ? Amazing that the local grocery store sells SO MANY versions of FAX paper ? charmin...northern...etc... hi,hi,hi kd4amg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.