Home made tower?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI7HSB, Jan 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone ever build a tower from scratch? Do a bunch of math, buy a bunch of pipe, break out the welder... brag to your ham buddies...?

NH7RO likes this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Old timers even used wood!

N7WR, WB5YUZ, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  3. AC8UN

AC8UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhere around I have an old handbook that has a 40 foot tower made from 2"x2" lumber

NH7RO likes this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like my 1964 ARRL Antenna Book...

5. AC8UN

AC8UN Ham Member QRZ Page

That could be right Jeff, sounds like the correct time frame

NH7RO likes this.
  6. WW1WW

WW1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure you could make a very nice tower but it would be hard to do for less that $120 per 10 foot section.
    https://www.3starinc.com/25g_tower_sections.html

AC8UN likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And not so easy to even obtain those materials, and then hot-dip galvanize the results after welding.

No way to do it cheaper than Rohn, IMO.

The "other" problem might be trying to obtain a building permit to install it, as the muni agencies that issue those usually want to see full engineering documents by the manufacturer or they won't issue a permit.

WA7PRC and K2CAJ like this.
  8. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

By my calculations and supplier data, I can produce an exact copy of a Rohn 25G 10' segment for about $70 in materials plus whatever I value my time at... But that, and engineering confidence is often the deciding factor in the build/buy equation. Throw in today's litigious society and having that support from a third party supplier and their warranty and it's easy to see why few take on the challenge.

Admittedly, being a degreed mechanical engineer with his own shop, welding equipment, hands on fabrication experience and a stubborn streak that rivals most, I may have as skewed sense of value, effort and liability...

But somewhere short of a 75' guyed or 55' crank up tower, I'm thinking smaller.... Like for example, just a couple good 30-35' masts to support the ends of a simple horizontal half wave center fed dipole on a lot that is devoid of adequate trees or other convenient structures to hang something that lightweight off of. Some of the "2 inch dia pipe clamped to the side of the house" solutions I've seen are kind of sketchy.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Hold my beer, and watch this.......

WA7PRC, K9ASE, N4FFL and 1 other person like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rohn 25G construction.PNG
    Did you include using solid 5/16" rod zig-zag bracing, welded 48 places per section (16 * 3 sides)? How will you form that? Did you include ~$10/10-ft. section for hot-dip inorganic zinc galvanizing and the prepping for that?

I don't doubt it costs Rohn $70/section or probably less since they make thousands of sections at a time. But for a few sections? Sounds incredibly low.

AI3V, KK4NSF and WA7PRC like this.