ad: AlphaRF-1

HOA/Steath Antenna in a townhome

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4RRN, Nov 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4RRN

W4RRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All,

I have a ham radio friend that is currently studying for General and is hoping to get on HF soon. He lives in a townhome where the HOA doesn't allow external antennas. They do not allow flagpoles. There is no access to the attic. The only place where he can possibly an antenna on the covered front porch if he can get the coax inside. Is there any antenna types do you recommend, or any way to hide/cover it up?

Thanks,
    Warren
    W4RRN

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

10 acres in the country with underground power and an internet connection? No joke. I know hams who do this; they live in town, but have a remotely controlled station in a toolshed in the sticks.

3. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure about flagpoles? There is a federal law that allows flying the flag...

You would also be wise to search "stealth antennas" here, too---lots of good threads have been posted over the years and there are lots of options even in the worst scenarios. Your friend might have to resort to a well-built STL or a Marconi hidden in a tree but where there's a will there's always a way.

I worked from Cyprus to Malawi to Australia (on SSB, not FT-8 or CW) during the contest last weekend and I also live in a HOA condo.

Jeff

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may fly flags on a short pole mounted to the house in any HOA. A free standing flagpole is not a protected right. Many HOAs ban free standing flagpoles.

Town homes and apartments are tough. Short vertical antennas on a patio or porch are relatively easy to do. I have also heard of a mobile vehicle mounted antenna being run into the house. Not quite a permanent installation but it sounds like it would work.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  5. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy!

Buy 9 20' schedule 80 sections of pvc from plumbing supply with delivery.
    Also you'll need 4 in line couplers 4 corner tees. Glue. 400ft of nylon guy rope & stakes.

You need a sunscreen (perforated) tarp to fit over it when assembled to mask it's purpose. Any one
    Asks what it is, tellem it's a sunscreen.

It'll be a 20x20 corner fed loop to your tuner and a sunscreen 20ft up to everyone else.

I was never here.

KA2RRK

KA2RRK

6. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a mag loop antenna? They work good even sitting on the ground.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you REALLY think a piece of homemade junk will be allowed too?

NH7RO and KA2RRK like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Around here (it may vary) a "townhome" usually has an attached garage, and often a place to park a vehicle outside the unit and close by. If that happens to be the case, your friend might consider installing a good HF mobile antenna on his vehicle and making a quick-disconnect point in the coax near the back end of the vehicle.

If that's possible, park the vehicle somewhere that's allowed but close to the unit, run coax behind bushes or whatever and lead the coax into the unit. Set up rig "inside," but with antenna outside, on the vehicle, and operate from the comfort of "home" but using a mobile antenna.

I've done this a few times, including at motels (!) by parking right outside the first-floor room and running coax in the window.

Never found a reasonably sized mobile whip that works well on 80m, but they can work well on 40m and "above" (30m, 20m, 17m, etc) and being outside usually outperform anything inside.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Around here (it may vary) a "townhome" usually has an attached garage, and often a place to park a vehicle outside the unit and close by. If that happens to be the case, your friend might consider installing a good HF mobile antenna on his vehicle and making a quick-disconnect point in the coax near the back end of the vehicle.

If that's possible, park the vehicle somewhere that's allowed but close to the unit, run coax behind bushes or whatever and lead the coax into the unit. Set up rig "inside," but with antenna outside, on the vehicle, and operate from the comfort of "home" but using a mobile antenna.

I've done this a few times, including at motels (!) by parking right outside the first-floor room and running coax in the window.

Never found a reasonably sized mobile whip that works well on 80m, but they can work well on 40m and "above" (30m, 20m, 17m, etc) and being outside usually outperform anything inside.

10. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the home have rain gutters? Tell him to invest in the absolute best tuner money can buy - snake a feed outside and connect. Load er' up!