HOA Restrictions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB4IME, Feb 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

I trust posting this question will be acceptable. I did a search for this subject which returned only the thread related to ARPA.

Has anyone successfully negotiated with their HOA obtaining an exemption allowing the placement of a tower and antenna?

I am interested in your experience, more specifically if any supporting documentation was utilized and what that documentation consisted of.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Jim WB4IME.

K2NCC likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

First rule is what they don't know won't hurt you. I have NOT gone to an HOA asking for a tower. I have an attic dipole (BIG attic) and a 25' vertical in the back yard ground mounted with 36 radials. I did not ask permission and received no complaints. When I tried an outdoor dipole, a neighbor complained and I took it down. My theory is not to draw attention to my operation.

Let us know how you make out.

K2NCC, K8MCN, AF4LY and 3 others like this.
  3. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Where I live, I am the HOA. :cool:

SA6CKE, K4KWH, KV4RH and 1 other person like this.
  4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, my HOA has two hams; one has a 50 foot tower and yagi on top of it.

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe you can answer the rest of the OP's question then, about supporting documentation; or provide the callsign of the tower owner so he can contact that party directly to find out.

6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Contact a Volunteer Counsel in your area. Have copies of the CC&Rs, and other governing documents. Figure out if anyone, the board, etc. has the authority to grant an exemption, and the procedure, or if you even NEED an exemption, and what grounds there may be for granting one if needed.

The specific provisions of your documents must be read by someone who knows about these things, and how they will be enforced and if they can be.

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

yoursign13.jpg

K2NCC, K4YND, K4PIH and 2 others like this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the HOA fantasy from a Star Trek perspective....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    WD8T and N0TZU like this.
  9. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a ham in Spring Grove IL who successfully obtained an exception from his HOA. He related to me that they were concerned about appearance, safety and interference. He was easily able to address the safety concern, as a total collapse wouldn't have come near his neighbor's property. The interference concern was a mix of the usual lay misunderstandings about 'sucking all the signals out of the air and blowing up people's TVs'; he provided documentation from the ARRL that addressed most of these concerns and promised to address any issues that came up. He also reminded them that he had been operating with for years and no-one had approached him with any complaints.

The biggest issue was that of appearance, and ultimately this was addressed by selecting a tower with modest visual impact (US Tower MA-550MDP tubular crank-up tilt-over), provided pictures of existing installations in similar looking neighborhoods, and agreed to keep the tower tilted down when he wasn't using it.

Having addressed the stated concerns, he was able to obtain a written variance and installed the tower as quickly as the concrete work would permit as he had already obtained the requisite township permits before he went to the HOA.

Just a note that, in his case, the HOA never asked him to justify why he wanted it...they didn't really care about the 'why' as long as their concerns were addressed.

I hope this helps...

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, THAT'S a condition I can live with!:cool: