HOA and XYL Friendly All Band Antenna - Dah-BAT

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N5PZJ and WA4CZD like this.
  2. KN6SD

I also enjoyed Monitoring Times... If you had a Scanner or Shortwave receiver you had to subscribe to POPCOMM or MT. Both magazines were the only way a monitoring hobbyist could stay informed in the 80's and 90's...

W4POT likes this.
  3. KN6SD

K0UO likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are reasons why these magazines are no longer with us.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The is a QRPer's special antenna!!

KN6SD likes this.
  6. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno... Elecraft sure doesn't seem to be having any problem getting full price up front orders for new k4's and they're not even shipping yet. Yes we know, politicians aren't our friends, but the stock markets are at all time highs, unemployment is at all time lows, especially for minorities.Most people are doing pretty ok... Couple that with the fact that adjusted for inflation, Amateur radio gear is cheaper than it's EVER been before, while being infinitely more capable. I think these are the golden days for amateur radio.

Diggin holes, planting towers, just like Johnny Appleseed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2019
    KI7HSB, ND6M and KJ4VTH like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Political comments have a separate forum, so I won't go there.

But it does seem that our great economy hasn't helped a lot of Americans. Apple helped me a lot when their stock split 7:1 and I had 100 shares, which became 700 shares at the same total value...and then climbed back up over the years.:) But I didn't do that, it just happened and I was lucky.:p

I know lots of people who weren't so lucky and are working hard just to stay above water.

I do remember a long time ago (I was a kid, actually) when AES used to have a "revolving payment plan" for ham gear -- that was in the sixties! I was too young to even apply for that so I made a promise to my father that I would make every single payment if he applied -- and I did, with income from paper routes and various low-paying part-time jobs. I bought my (used) NC-300 that way and it was a huge improvement over previous receivers and that all worked out great.:)

So, payment plans via ham radio dealers did exist, at one time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2019
  8. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My folks actually put up the cash, and I made payments back to them from grocery bagging money to purchase a used Hammarlung HQ-110... Major upgrade in my ham life. That same receiver is staring at me now from the elevated shelf behind my main operating bench. They also went halfers with me on a Drake 2-NT transmitter to replace the ARC-5. Those days were pretty golden too.

9. KN6SD

I agree with you about the price of Ham Gear, [political commentary removed] but people have less disposable income today. So things (money type) have not really changed for working folks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would advise that comments that are of a political nature, referencing "class status" in America, etc. do not belong here. Feel free to start a thread with those sorts of concerns in "Just Talking - Politics" - but those comments do NOT belong here.