ad: GNOHF-1

Hitch Mobile Tower Project

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N4QAD, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4QAD

N4QAD Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! She doesn't "love" it back there.

K0UO likes this.
  2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to measure the actual height, just to be sure, and carry a copy of this, particularly pages 24 & 25, while you are en route to your operating locations.
    https://member.coach-net.com/members/pdfs/lowclearancebridgeinfo.pdf
    lowclearancebridgeinfo  OHIO pg 24.jpg lowclearancebridgeinfo  OHIO pg 25.jpg
    Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

PS - And don't forget to adust your headlights down when carrying the tower. When the rear of the van is loaded with the weight, the front is sure to point upward, and your headlights will likely be blinding to all the other drivers on the road.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    K0UO and KA0HCP like this.
  3. N4QAD

I didn't even know that a resource like that was available! Need that for my school bus (motor home) too! That is a great find.

I would be surprised if my tower would make that much of a difference. It is only about 80 lbs. Really do want to get an "official" weight.

N2PQW likes this.
  4. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's certainly a lot less than I expected, so might not be a problem at all. ;)

Obviously, I've got a 'thing' about headlight aim. We've all been blinded more than once by vehicles towing trailers & such that have too much tongue weight, and the operators haven't adjusted for it. Please observe it and take action, if you can.

Excellent installation, by the way! I haven't had time to watch the full video yet; what are your antenna plans?

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

5. N4QAD

I have a Diamond X-30 Antenna and I am going to make a 4 element yagi. Life getting in the way right now.

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Adjusting head lights. Very good idea! Some times it doesn't take much tilt at all to make them very objectionable. I surprised myself once at how willing I was to do something about bright head lights. Was also glad I didn't still carry a shotgun in the pickup's back window.

N4QAD likes this.
  7. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

A very nice design. Personally I would have it mounted a little higher off the ground but also I live in an area with very bad roads. X2 on getting the license plate moved. All you need is a bracket to offset it to the left. Don't forget the light. Speaking of light, something to consider is to add an adjustable flood lamp to the license plate bracket for nighttime (dis)assembly.

N4QAD likes this.
  8. KI5GHW

KI5GHW Ham Member QRZ Page

yes the 7 prong has a 12v battery charge for the trailers with brake system

[​IMG]

9. N4QAD

Is that generally only lit while the key is on or is it a constant 12v. I would guess it is based on the key being on so you don't drain your pull vehicle....