ad: Radclub22-1

History of the Morse Key Video

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G3YWX, Feb 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G3YWX

G3YWX Ham Member QRZ Page

A new video detail the history of the Morse key has been added to YouTube. It details the history of the Morse key from the very first ‘Correspondent’ key through the Camelback to keys like Bunnell’s steel lever key, as well as many other keys including those for the military use. It also details keys including the sideswiper used to reduce operator strain. It shows the Vibroplex bug and finally electronic keyers and paddles.

Check out this five minute video with lots of examples of keys ancient and modern:

N3REB, KP4JM, KA2CZU and 2 others like this.
  2. A25SL

A25SL Ham Member QRZ Page

The key himself ....YES to many it seems just a switch.....To many More its a Master Piece and honour to collect and even use them today in our Shacks . The detailed handcraft and engineering into the Perfect key is a personal thing. Yet they are each and every so effective as their operator. - Thx Guys de 73 - real interesting video indeed - Leon

3. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Samson at sea but mine was an ETM3 rather than the ETM5 shown in the video.

4. G3YWX

Yes there is a lot of engineering that went into the Morse key. As you say it is not just a switch but a finely honed instrument that took a lot of developing. There is a bit more you can see on our website page: http://www.electronics-radio.com/articles/history/morse-code-telegraph/morse-key-development.php
    Hope you like this as well

A25SL likes this.
  5. G3YWX

I confess I like my ETM5C - great feel to the paddle and it works well even after all these years.

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video!

7. WA5PQL

WA5PQL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great YouTube video...very well done!

VK5EEE likes this.
  8. A25SL

A25SL Ham Member QRZ Page

G3YWX - A25SL , Q5 yes in deed I Totally agree its Masters engineering more than you know by just simply looking at a key. Only when one finds the love for theses instruments - That's when your eyes and mind open to the fine art and engineering of a Morse key. Every key has a "story" that's for sure - 73 Thank you, will have a look at the link -my Google + also have a few stories you'd like maybe - cheers now - Leon

VK5EEE likes this.
  9. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks great video, shared!

10. WN2A

WN2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent Video--Definitely learned several new things I didn't know before.
    CU on 80-10 with my J-44

11. MM0MPA

MM0MPA Subscriber QRZ Page

I see there is no mention of the Marconi 365A straight key, a real master of engineering, used at sea for many years from about the 1930's and is still popular although their numbers appear to be dwindling.

12. G3YWX

Sadly we only had limited time - I try to keep videos to 5 minutes. Also I didn't have one available - much as they are good.

13. K3LU

K3LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bravo! Well done. It's always good to know your roots! 73!

14. KC2TE

KC2TE Ham Member QRZ Page

excelent video, got me interested in building one of those oldies.